Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Well it ain't a Ford...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
But the Lumina's in the shop.

On Saturday, I noticed the power steering whining while coming home from Knoxville, we filled 'er up with fluid.

Sunday I checked it in the church parking lot after church, and it was about halfway out, drove onto parts place and got a bottle of power steering fluid, before I got home the dang thing was whinning again. Looked at it yesterday and found the line was leaking, but I could BARELY get under the car, and I could probably have changed it, but it wasn't gonna be fun AT ALL.

Took it to the dealership, and it marked it's territory on their tile floor, when you first enter the garage :rolling laugh:. They said the RETURN line was leaking, and it would be $296! $60 of it was the line.. :headbang:

And, we just got a call from the guy we know down there (he's worked there since we got the car, and knows us when we walk in) and said the PRESSURE line is in bad shape and we might aswell replace it to, it's just another $40

Oh well, I don't guess it's been that bad of a car...

Intake gasket, couple alternators, power steering lines, and the A/C completely rebuild when we first bought it cause it didn't work, in 137k miles..

smilietease at smilieFordlogo

:D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
DAYUUUUUUUUM...ever heard of a floor jack? I woulda made every possible effort I could have to avoid those labor costs.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You shoulda drove it to me. I could have done it for half that. :p

Bigredmariner

Just Another Clown
I had a 1991 Lumina that was my wife's car, put close to 100K on it and didn't have anything big go wrong. I decided to due a tune up and after changing the plugs in it I decided to stay away from sideways motors. Good car though in my opinion. That sucks about the steep labor.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I had a 1990 lumina and the power steering pump went out. I was driving around, it started whining, and then all the sudden I lost the power steering. It was stiff as hell. I got it home, popped the hood and the fluid was everywhere.

It turned out to be some pesky o-ring near the pulley bearing that blew out. The pump never quit working, but it lost the seal. I ended up just buying a new pump for $100 and fixing it in an hour... So I'm not sure how yours is set up.

Ryan

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
DAYUUUUUUUUM...ever heard of a floor jack? I woulda made every possible effort I could have to avoid those labor costs.

Yeah.. I was gonna try it, even though I didnt' really wanna mess with it, but dad decided to just pay the costs.

You shoulda drove it to me. I could have done it for half that. :p

And the other half, plus a little more could have went towards gas smilietease

I had a 1991 Lumina that was my wife's car, put close to 100K on it and didn't have anything big go wrong. I decided to due a tune up and after changing the plugs in it I decided to stay away from sideways motors. Good car though in my opinion. That sucks about the steep labor.

Yeah, like I said in the first post, it's been pretty reliable (knock on wood) and we ain't had that many problems out of it. My parent's always babied it though.... wish I could say I do the same. :wasntme: (I'm not THAT bad though... cause it's their car, and I have a little respect.)

EDIT: We haven't changed spark plugs in it, we had a friend of ours who owned a shop at the time, do that when he replaced the intake gasket (I think?) but I heard that you have to loosen the motor mounts, and roll it foward to change them. is that correct?

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I had a 1990 lumina and the power steering pump went out. I was driving around, it started whining, and then all the sudden I lost the power steering. It was stiff as hell. I got it home, popped the hood and the fluid was everywhere.

It turned out to be some pesky o-ring near the pulley bearing that blew out. The pump never quit working, but it lost the seal. I ended up just buying a new pump for $100 and fixing it in an hour... So I'm not sure how yours is set up.

Ryan

Yeah, we first assumed it was the pump, and was gonna change it ourselves. Then we found out the lines where bad, and how much a pain they was gonna be to change, so we took it to the dealer.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
What year is this puppy? I'll look up the return line's part number, then post what the real price is. 69 bucks seems kinda high.

You know...of course that the P/S return hose threads onto the gearbox, then a simple hose clamp attaches t'other end to the pump.

Usually, you can cut off a bit of the hose at the pump end where it has cracked, causing it to leak...then clamp it back on.

$296.00 to replace a return hose is an OUTRAGEOUS price to pay.

Where did'ja go, Ben Dover Motors?

Last edited:

Bigredmariner

Just Another Clown
EDIT: We haven't changed spark plugs in it, we had a friend of ours who owned a shop at the time, do that when he replaced the intake gasket (I think?) but I heard that you have to loosen the motor mounts, and roll it foward to change them. is that correct?
IIRC I didn't do the loosen the mounts thing. I did however have to remove the alternator to get my hand back behind there. That seemed easier than loosening the mounts.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
What year is this puppy? I'll look up the return line's part number, then post what the real price is. 69 bucks seems kinda high.

You know...of course that the P/S return hose threads onto the gearbox, then a simple hose clamp attaches t'other end to the pump.

Usually, you can cut off a bit of the hose at the pump end where it has cracked, causing it to leak...then clamp it back on.

$296.00 to replace a return hose is an OUTRAGEOUS price to pay.

Where did'ja go, Ben Dover Motors?

it's a 1993

It was a GM hose, Advance auto parts had one for $20 somthing, but none in stock. :headbang:

We looked at it, but it appeared to run under the motor, across to the drivers side, then back to the passenger side. and it appeared to be metal AND rubber. Cause the mechanic walked us under it while it was on the lift, and showed us where it was leaking.

IIRC I didn't do the loosen the mounts thing. I did however have to remove the alternator to get my hand back behind there. That seemed easier than loosening the mounts.

Yeah.. that does seem easier, and I may try that when it comes time to change plugs.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
it's a 1993

It was a GM hose, Advance auto parts had one for $20 somthing, but none in stock. :headbang:

We looked at it, but it appeared to run under the motor, across to the drivers side, then back to the passenger side. and it appeared to be metal AND rubber. Cause the mechanic walked us under it while it was on the lift, and showed us where it was leaking.

Yep- and they're a stinker to replace too. But you already know that. smilietease

The line runs from the pump to the steering rack, which is right in front of the firewall. You should see how it runs in a supercharged Impala SS- unreal.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yep- and they're a stinker to replace too. But you already know that. smilietease

The line runs from the pump to the steering rack, which is right in front of the firewall. You should see how it runs in a supercharged Impala SS- unreal.

Yup, and the more I think about it, the more glad I am not to have messed with it..

Side note: I should be getting the title to a CJ5 Jeep tommorrow! :D

Needs alot of work, but it should be a fun beater/offroader

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner

Dunno... I wanna say 72, but I'm not positive.

I'll try and get some pics tommorrow. It will be a few days before I get it to the house though, cause I gotta get the brakes working before I try and tow it over here. (it's just across the street, but it's on a hill...)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Do ya remember where the gas filler is. On 69 and earlier the tank is under the drivers side seat and 70 and up its in the back in between the frame with the filler by the tail light.
Heres what a 69 and earlier looks like. Its just below the door in a kind of bucket.
038.jpg

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
99% sure it's on the back, left side, near the light.

This thing is in pretty rough shape though...the tops ripped in a few places, windshield is cracked, seats are tore up, nice big dent across the hood from where the shed fell on it, tires are slick, tailgate is a piece of plywood... just to name a few. :rolling laugh:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
99% sure it's on the back, left side, near the light.

This thing is in pretty rough shape though...the tops ripped in a few places, windshield is cracked, seats are tore up, nice big dent across the hood from where the shed fell on it, tires are slick, tailgate is a piece of plywood... just to name a few. :rolling laugh:

As long as it runs, it should be one helluva beater...if it doesn't run, get it right before investing in cosmetics.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Cough 5.0 cough

I dunno...I've seen a couple guys shoe horn a 401 in them things and it's pretty fun. I've always been a fan of the Dauntless too. But here again, I like to keep brand appropriate parts in my rigs.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts