Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

we'll diagnose together

blacksnapon

Staff member
Got an 08 with a 6.4, customer complaining with loss of power, smoke, excessive fuel consumption. Dtc of (p157a)--fuel level low-forced power strategy. Freeze frame data shows coolant temp 212, drive time over an hour, 68 mph speed, egr error 90%, exhaust temp 1-1 378 degrees, exhaust temp 1-2 342 degrees, instrument cluster dtc of u0100. Vehicle was NOT out of fuel, talking with customer, he isn't religious about using ulsd. No coolant loss or leaks, no fuel leaks, fuel pressure 21,000 psi. You have enough information to proceed, and enough to confuse the issue. Bowtie and Rusty, we'll converse by pm---let these guys think!

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Got an 08 with a 6.4, customer complaining with loss of power, smoke, excessive fuel consumption. Dtc of (p157a)--fuel level low-forced power strategy. Freeze frame data shows coolant temp 212, drive time over an hour, 68 mph speed, egr error 90%, exhaust temp 1-1 378 degrees, exhaust temp 1-2 342 degrees, instrument cluster dtc of u0100. Vehicle was NOT out of fuel, talking with customer, he isn't religious about using ulsd. No coolant loss or leaks, no fuel leaks, fuel pressure 21,000 psi. You have enough information to proceed, and enough to confuse the issue. Bowtie and Rusty, we'll converse by pm---let these guys think!

Well first two things that come to mind are sticking EGR valve, and possible bad fuel gauge or sender.

Maybe the truck was built at 4:59pm on a Friday, and the Ford-plant worker made a few mistakes putting in the computer. [confused]

There's my stab at it :p

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think I got it whipped. Got parts ordered. Its not what you might think, but you've got the answer there if you look.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
I just had a 550 with an intermittent no start, and a check engine light. It had codes for glow plug module communication issues and some other network code that I can't remember. Turned out to need a cluster. Lesson to be learned that with these trucks, if ANY welding is to be done, ALL the modules (IC, ABS, PCM, GPCM, SJB) need to be disconnected. Disconnecting the batteries alone is not enough (anymore).

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Here is the link to the procedure to disconnect everything prior to welding or plasma cutting on the truck.
www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q123R2.pdf

"Before electric welding or plasma cutting on the frame or body of F250-550 units, disconnect the battery, instrument cluster, SPDJB, ABS module and the PCM . Just disconnecting a battery cable is not enough to prevent damage to these components. Damage seen in newly-constructed trucks has been traced back to welding. Electronic module damage due to this customer or vehicle modifier action is not covered in vehicle warranty."
QVM Bulliten Q-123-R2

Good grief! I feel sorry for somone who gets one of these 20-30 years down the road. Everything will be shot by then (computer garbage).

Then they go welding on the body to put patch panels in and ruin even more.

You guys are scaring me about my 01 explorer. I never had any electrical or computer issues with my 89 ranger and I thought it had too much computer mess on it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, here it is---the drivers aren't very religious about putting in the correct fuel "the ulsd pumps are too hard to get to with a trailer". The dpf has been damaged to the point of almost constant regeneration (explaining the smoke,power loss, and fuel consumption). Talking to the driver, he asked "hey, whats with the dash flickering out like it does?". Explaining the loss of communication dtc, and possibly the fuel gauge dtc. Of course, he didn't ask this question until 2 hours of diagnostics had taken place.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ok, here it is---the drivers aren't very religious about putting in the correct fuel "the ulsd pumps are too hard to get to with a trailer". The dpf has been damaged to the point of almost constant regeneration (explaining the smoke,power loss, and fuel consumption).
That's what I was thinking when you said "he isn't religious about using ulsd". I just didn't know about it for sure because of the communication errors.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts