Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Weird starter noise

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...just had a real quick question. About a week ago, the starter in Red started to squeal when I turned the key, then it seemed like the starter would engage and all would be fine. However, over the week, the problem has become worse, the squealing lasts a little longer and now it's happening on every start up. I assume this means the starter is on its last leg...but I have NEVER heard a starter do this before. Anyone ever heard this before? Is it fixable, or should I just go get another one? Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Mark...I was rather disappointed to be having these problems. I used to use the cheapy starters from AZ, and would get 18-24 months out of them, then I decided that was enough and dropped some cash on a Motorcraft starter...and it only did 6 months better.

Ben! Where ya been man?! I would go with Mark's assessment...sounds about right. I had one do that on a '76 and I plopped in another one. I've never used an expensive starter and have had good luck with 99% of my starters.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Charles...it's good to be posting again...I was just busy with family and some work...etc. As for cheap starters...it doesn't seem to matter what kinda quality starter I put on Red...it frickin eats starters. But I guess I'll go see if I have any time left on my Motorcraft warranty.

Hey Charles...it's good to be posting again...I was just busy with family and some work...etc. As for cheap starters...it doesn't seem to matter what kinda quality starter I put on Red...it frickin eats starters. But I guess I'll go see if I have any time left on my Motorcraft warranty.

If not, spring for the O'Reilly's Ultima stuff.

I would think the teeth on a starter don't usually shear off so would the flywheel be in a bit of a bind?

blacksnapon

Staff member
An engine has a tendency to stop in the same spot(s) all the time. When you pull out the starter, look inside the hole while someone is manually turning over the engine. There probably will be 4 areas of excessive wear on the flywheel teeth. You will have to make a judgement of the wear if you need to replace a flywheel or not. Do you by any chance have headers? They will eat a starter.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
An engine has a tendency to stop in the same spot(s) all the time. When you pull out the starter, look inside the hole while someone is manually turning over the engine. There probably will be 4 areas of excessive wear on the flywheel teeth. You will have to make a judgement of the wear if you need to replace a flywheel or not. Do you by any chance have headers? They will eat a starter.

Yes, the heat will ruin them. That's why I've had mine ceramic coated to see if that helps.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The teeth on the starter and flywheel all look good, I think it was just that starters time to go. Yes, I do have headers...and I know they're killer on starters...I just figured my heat shield and ceramic coating would be good enough...maybe time for some heat wrap.

Hey fellas...just had a real quick question. About a week ago, the starter in Red started to squeal when I turned the key, then it seemed like the starter would engage and all would be fine. However, over the week, the problem has become worse, the squealing lasts a little longer and now it's happening on every start up. I assume this means the starter is on its last leg...but I have NEVER heard a starter do this before. Anyone ever heard this before? Is it fixable, or should I just go get another one? Thanks.

Who are you ?

;)

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Hey Ben! Remember the starter I recently put in Burt? It's a gear reduction starter and I love it. I've been driving Burt much more now, pulling the travel trailer, joy riding, etc. and even with the really high temps we are having out here on the Left coast, I have had no problems with hesitation, slow cranking, etc. I also sort of like the faster whirring sound it makes. I know it was more expensive, but I **think** it will last a long time.

Good luck!
Dak

Hey Ben! Remember the starter I recently put in Burt? It's a gear reduction starter and I love it. I've been driving Burt much more now, pulling the travel trailer, joy riding, etc. and even with the really high temps we are having out here on the Left coast, I have had no problems with hesitation, slow cranking, etc. I also sort of like the faster whirring sound it makes. I know it was more expensive, but I **think** it will last a long time.

Good luck!
Dak

Got anymore info on that starter, Dak?

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
It's a Beck Arnley. Sorry for the misspelling.. Here is what I wrote in the original thread.

Their products are also carried by Advance Auto, but those are all rebuilt ones. Mine is new, with no core charge. That's why it was so expensive in the first place.

Here is a link to their company.
http://www.beckarnley.com/aboutbeck...h an Amazon gift card and free shipping)Dak

It's a Beck Arnley. Sorry for the misspelling.. Here is what I wrote in the original thread.

Their products are also carried by Advance Auto, but those are all rebuilt ones. Mine is new, with no core charge. That's why it was so expensive in the first place.

Here is a link to their company.
http://www.beckarnley.com/aboutbeck...TE]Cool thanks Dak, gonna do some research.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Dak...thanks for the info...I did end up getting an O'Reilly's Ultima starter for $75, but next week when I get paid...I'm going with a Powermaster reduction unit. Thanks for the info guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts