Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Weird noises

My truck keeps making a banging noise from underneath i can feel it in the steering wheel. I have absolutely no idea what it is it happens when its in drive park reverse nuteral first and second. I checked the transmission fluid is full and bright red i checked the transfercase fluid is full and bright red engine oil is clean and full. Both axles had fluid replaced new gaskets before winter both u joints in the front end where replaced both wheel bearings were greased and replaced. Its weird cause you really only notice it when you are stopped completely and its so bad that you can feel it in the steering wheel. Im lost in need of help hopefully somone can shed some light on my delema lol.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Is this happening when you're moving or sitting still? Turning the steering wheel, or just sitting there?

From your description I'm not even sure if it's a drivetrain or suspension issue...but since it does happen in Park, I'd be trying to get underneath and figure out more precisely the noise is coming from.

Oh, and what year is this truck, again?

It happens when the truck is sitting still not turning the steering wheel or anything. Its a 1997 ford ranger xlt 4.0 automatic transmission 87 thousand miles. It was doing it in 2wd before then it stopped for a while then now i put it in 4wd it makes the noises. The really weird thing is is it only makes the noises when i wants to like if im under it checked to see were the noise is comming from its not doing it. Im really confused it does have a bad ac pump clutch could this be the culprit?. It started happening when i replaced the radiator i was having cooling problems thats fixed now but still have the noise.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Whoops- thought I'd replied to this earlier.

If it's too intermittent to know when it'll do it, you're in for a rough time diagnosing it...at least until it gets worse.

A/C compressor clutch does seem possible...if it was consistent enough, I'd say pull the serpentine belt and see if that cures it, but you'd have to know it'd do it within a minute or two, so you wouldn't overheat without the water pump turning.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I hear weird noises all the time, like drink the bleach ect ect, just drink and they will go away :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts