Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

walk me through Aftermarket Tach install

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok guys i bought a 3" sunpro tach for my truck. and the instructions with it are less than desirable...

can someone help walk me through the install... I got a basic idea i just need some reassurance..

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Head out to the junkyard,find a truck with a tach,check compatibility with your truck,remove old cluster,plug in new cluster,reassemble,and you're done.

I wouldn't touch Sun-Pro with a 30' Pole.I've heard alot of crap about their stuff.I've heard that Factory Tachs are more accurate than a Sun Pro.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well,I'm never going to TN for truck parts.

There actually aren't any 9th gen Broncos in my junkyards.They're too new.There's a couple of 9th gen F150's,but I never look in em since I don't need the parts.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
We have 5 or 6, but only one has anything worth the trip,and I've already gotten anything I could use from the yard.

Well,for now I guess you could get by with the Sun Pro,but i'd definitely look into getting something else down the road.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
You already have wiring for it . There was a good post that had wire layout . Don't think it will be to bad to do . I'll look at wiring diagrams and see .

Looks like truck is coming along nice.

Good luck bud

If you need clusters let me know . I got dozen or so .

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I can't remember off the top of my head what color wire goes where, but there should be 3 wires (or 4 if you lighting capability). Hop on Autometers site, they have printable instructions for tach installs.

BTW...no tach in Red, but all her gauges are SunPro (oil psi, water temp and trans temp). I personally think they're a good gauge for the value oriented.

Edit...and just to rub it in...I got a NIB AutoMeter 3 3/8" Traditional Chrome tach from a buddy on FSB for $20 shipped.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok ive been reading the instructions more in depth and the only 2 things im wondering are....
1. where should i hook up to to get the light power from.. is there an easy hook up spot?

2. which wire coming off the coil is the negative?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ok ive been reading the instructions more in depth and the only 2 things im wondering are....
1. where should i hook up to to get the light power from.. is there an easy hook up spot?

2. which wire coming off the coil is the negative?

1.find the wire from a light in the dash that when you turn on the lights it turns on thats what i did

2. every tach is different you have to read but mostly the negative on the coil.. put it there let someone start the car see if it moves if it doesnt put it on the + side the 2 second start wont hurt it..

and you didnt mention the Tach main power thats needs to go to a source when you turn the key on it turns on like The fuse box i just put it with the radio fuse and never had any probs

and the Ground find a good ground in the car then hook it up there if you have a light tester is best to find a good ground

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles