Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Vince is Working on one of My Nephew's Trucks

blacksnapon

Staff member
The vanes that you see in the second pic are fixed. The variable, moving vanes are outside those, moved by the unison ring.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Vince,

Is FMC still having you replace the Turbo since the control slot is worn or do you have to rebuild the turbo with a new unison ring etc instead?

Also what do you think tore the reservoir screen?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince,

Is FMC still having you replace the Turbo since the control slot is worn or do you have to rebuild the turbo with a new unison ring etc instead?

Also what do you think tore the reservoir screen?
This truck is past warranty, so customer cost is one consideration. No parts are available for the garrett turbo, so its either center section, or complete replacement. The difference in cost between the two choices is only $400. This one isn't worn excessively, so I'm going to clean it and put it back on (with an advisement to replace at some time). The screen can tear if theres any restriction (thick oil, debris, etc.).

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Are the vanes set up like that cuse it's a (VV?) turbo?

Yes there are vanes on the unison ring than move from open to closed based on commands for the PCM. By changing the position of the vanes on the unison ring you effectively change the size of the trubo from small to large as needed.

Go here scroll down and click on the link for the 6.0 Turbocharger Guide, it will show you how they are put together. The pictures Vince posted are of the "turbine" side (hot side).
www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-08.php

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The screen can tear if theres any restriction (thick oil, debris, etc.).

What are your thoughts on cause in this case, extended oil drain intervals, "will fit" oil filters or debris from the oil cooler failure?

blacksnapon

Staff member
What are your thoughts on cause in this case, extended oil drain intervals, "will fit" oil filters or debris from the oil cooler failure?
It has small bits of debris on the screen (possibly the cooler, but most likely the low pressure pump and cover.) Without knowing the history, I'd lean toward extended oil change intervals.

Yes there are vanes on the unison ring than move from open to closed based on commands for the PCM. By changing the position of the vanes on the unison ring you effectively change the size of the trubo from small to large as needed.

Go here scroll down and click on the link for the 6.0 Turbocharger Guide, it will show you how they are put together. The pictures Vince posted are of the "turbine" side (hot side).
www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-08.php

Um K, I've been around turbos before but never saw a VV. And the ones I did see were like twice the size of that one. lol

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thanks Vince. Extended OCI was the first thing that popped in my mind when i saw the torn screen.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I do know that they use Motorcraft oil filters, Shell Rotella 15W40 motor oil, and Racor fuel filters from International. They also have a maintenance program in place to service their trucks every 5,000 miles. Having said that, this particular truck was driven by a project manager and he might not have made the truck available (just a guess, I really don't know) in a timely manner.

This one in stock configuration will provide 25-28 psi boost.

Sweetness, I don't know what the OTR truck ones are capable of. (Cummins N14 and the like)

*Edit* Tks for the links Blackhat learn something new everyday. I kinda knew how they worked, but getting to look at one is a lot better.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I do know that they use Motorcraft oil filters, Shell Rotella 15W40 motor oil, and Racor fuel filters from International. They also have a maintenance program in place to service their trucks every 5,000 miles. Having said that, this particular truck was driven by a project manager and he might not have made the truck available (just a guess, I really don't know) in a timely manner.
A young truck with high mileage makes me think there wasn't much time for the garage. Its well taken care of otherwise.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
It is some good info here. My last oil change I had 2700 miles. I change it every other time I go to work. I don't have to buy the oil. We run Dello in our engines at work. I document everything in a book. I can go all the way back to right after I bought my truck. I mark down date and milage when I change oil, fuel, and air filter. I think the whole time I have had my truck it has seen 5000 miles on an oil change once.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It is some good info here. My last oil change I had 2700 miles. I change it every other time I go to work. I don't have to buy the oil. We run Dello in our engines at work. I document everything in a book. I can go all the way back to right after I bought my truck. I mark down date and milage when I change oil, fuel, and air filter. I think the whole time I have had my truck it has seen 5000 miles on an oil change once.
Remember, in the 6.0 is equally important to use the right classification of oil (its used as a hydraulic fluid as well).

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thread Hijack-

Thanks for the info guys. Even though it doesn't pertain to anything I own at the moment, it's always great to have knowledgable people here that are willing to help out. Kudos!

End Hijack

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts