Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Video...94 302 5.0

I was driving my F150 down the highway when I looked down to realize the oil gauge was reading zero. I don't know how long it was like that, but I started to get over a few lanes to pull off. On the way, a puff of smoke came out from under the hood (not too much, though) and the engine started to miss. I pulled over, popped the hood. Dipstick said I had oil...it smelled and looked okay. Started back up...engine sounded nasty, but the oil gauge was now working. Truck still drivable but hardly any power...and noisy.

I've checked compression...each cylinder is strong (125 or over). I was thinking head gasket, but no bubbles in the radiator or white smoke out of tailpipe.

I shot some video (very short) and posted on youtube to get ideas on what the problem could be (or at least point me in the right direction) before I tear down the engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdnn_UpFmwo

If you could watch and let me know where to start...

Thanks!
Dave

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its hard to do by video, where are you located?

Sounds like an exhaust leak?

Is the engine stock?
If so check the thermactor lines, they are about 1/2 inch lines plugged into the back of the cylinder heads. One on each head, start there...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
could be bout anything honestly your first issue is to figure out why you got 0 Oil Pressure. fix that problem so that doesnt come back. then figure out what happened due to the 0 oil pressure.

Thanks for the replies...I'm in Ohio. It's a 94 F150 Supercab, 302 5.0L stock 2 wh. drive. automatic.

Another question...the front axle is right up on the oil pan. Does the engine need to be pulled...perhaps part way...to drop the oil pan? Someone mentioned that the screen and tube could be plugged, hence the zero oil pressure.

Dave

blacksnapon

Staff member
That doesn't sound good! Start by using a manual oil pressure gauge. I think its hurt!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Sounds like bottom end damage, as well as manifold leak, my 95 F350 351 when hydrolocked sounded like that after I got it running again. The engine must be raised to get the pain down. the engine crossmember is rivited to the frame and sits right below the pan. How many miles, and hows good is the maintance on it.

Miles are 140K. I change the oil, plugs, wires, etc. regularly...when needed.
Or, at least I did before this happened.

I saw an a '88 302 5.0 out of a E150 van on Craigslist for $125 complete. Says it has compression. My engine has compression, though! I don't want to trade one engine with problems for another.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts