Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

VGT question.

Does anybody know if the PCM issues a command to cycle the VGT on engine start-up?

Thanks,
JR

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think its dependant upon programming level and any "problems" detected. The pcm will cycle the vgt if there was a problem detected in an attempt to find "common ground" or "relearn" the correct strategy.

It is just funny, every now and then I hear something under the hood on start-up. It is mostly after the truck has sat for a few days and it sounds almost like a pop and groan (like the actuator just freed the VGT?). No drivability problems and the truck has never sat for more than a week.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It is just funny, every now and then I hear something under the hood on start-up. It is mostly after the truck has sat for a few days and it sounds almost like a pop and groan (like the actuator just freed the VGT?). No drivability problems and the truck has never sat for more than a week.
The "problem".......temporarily stuck vanes. Solution, cycle the vgt to "find" the proper spot to be in.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The newer program will cycle the vanes every so often, not usually on startup, I have heard some trucks with "noisey" vanes in the turbo you could accually hear them moving, what your hearing is probably the vanes un-sticking themselfs, when the truck startst he vgt comes on to set the vanes in there proper position for idle.

m-chan68

Certified Ford Tech
If I'm not mistaken, the most current calibration will cycle VGT full open and full close if it detects extended engine idling.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts