Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V5...The Dents We Find

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Funny about that when they don't get back to a person.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm afraid I might be pushing the limits of the '89 250 with the 30' trailer(weight wise). It can be done, but I'm not sure.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Do you have the owners manual Doug?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is kinda what I'm thinking but they sure varied on how the truck was equipped.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Do you have the owners manual Doug?

I feel like the towing capacity on that truck should be close to 10,000 but I'm not sure

I don't. I just know the GVW rating sticker on the door says 8800. The 250 is the heavy duty version. I guess I'm just being paranoid....

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That 8800# is just the truck by itself Doug. I suspect the truck weighs in around 6500# which would give you 2300# capacity.
The number you need is the GCWR..which is the rating of both the truck and trailer.
Eg...my 350 is 11400 GVW, weighs 8000 with me in it and has a GCWR of 23500...so trailer up to 12100

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
From what I'm seeing elsewhere online if you have an automatic transmission and 4.10 gears it should net you a 10,500 towing capacity... Roughly 15,000 gcwr

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That 8800# is just the truck by itself Doug. I suspect the truck weighs in around 6500# which would give you 2300# capacity.
The number you need is the GCWR..which is the rating of both the truck and trailer.
Eg...my 350 is 11400 GVW, weighs 8000 with me in it and has a GCWR of 23500...so trailer up to 12100

From what I'm seeing elsewhere online if you have an automatic transmission and 4.10 gears it should net you a 10,500 towing capacity... Roughly 15,000 gcwr

Thank you, both. The truck is automatic with 4:10 axles. This helps me understand this whole process a little better.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I just found a towing guide for a '91 F-250 HD 4X4, 460 V-8 with 4:10 axles. The towing limit is 12,500 lbs. I think I'm good to go. Thank you all.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Just curious, did it feel excessively heavy when you were bringing it home or were you just wanting to verify that you were within the trucks capacity?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Both, but I was used to towing an 18' trailer which was barely noticeable. That was my reference point. I did notice that the truck didn't even squat when the trailer was attached, so that's probably a good sign.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just to clarify my post...that weight was if my truck was loaded to it's max allowed.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts