Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Using Shorty Mustang headers on 351w + 4X4

Has anybody used Mustang shorty headers on their 4x4 truck with 351w. I don't like how the #2 primary tube on the passenger side truck headers run on top. Foresee a lot of issues with spark plugs and wires.

I'm putting in a whole new exhaust, so pipe alignment doesn't matter, as long as I can hook new pipe up. Thanks.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I use them, you have to use a plug wire with the distributor plug end on both ends for that wire. Just change the spark end out for the distributor plug end. Works fine
If you use an oxygen sensor you weld it into the down pipe. Same for the EGR

You have to use a larger collector going to the header, so the exhaust will have to be custom made, it is at a different angle than stock truck. My shop usually charges $50 to make this pipe, and I have it made in 2 1/2", then use a 2 1/2" free flow cat.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No, they work perfect, the pipe actually comes out in the same spot, just over about 1". Your exhaust shop will bend your down pipe where it needs to go.
firewall is way back, not a problem. Auto trans stick stays the same.

You may want to put a heat shield on the evaporator core box, but that's only because the one from the factory is probably falling off

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
So all you have is the EGR, and the o2 bungs to weld in the down pipes once he bends them up.
If you use the tube for the 5.8 EGR, you have a little longer tube, you can move it around a bit.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts