Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Updates?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
It's been awhile since I've posted anything here. :)

So........

For those of you who are new here, I have a 1980 F150 Ranger Lariat 4x4. But that's not what the truck always was. It was built December 20, 1979 as an F100 Custom trim 4x2 with a 300 I6. Now, the only original parts left on the truck are the rear axle, most of the wiring harness, the sheet metal, the glass, and the frame. Everything else has been swapped to parts from other trucks. Surprisingly, there are parts from about 86 different trucks on my F150! :eek:

Some of the updates I've made:

-Ranger Lariat trim swap
-4x4 swap
-Complete black interior swap
-6.6 400 V8 swap in progress
-Trailer Special package added
-Convenience Group option added
-Light group option added
-Security Lock Group option added
-Sports Instrumentation package added
-Suspension upgraded to F150 spec.
-Protection Group option added

And much, much more.

When I first bought the truck back in 2008:

modelsandemblems332.jpg

modelsandemblems325.jpg

picture575.jpg

And now:

Most recent pictures:

picture689.jpg

picture686h.jpg

Cutting the floor for the new transfer case inspection cover:

picture517d.jpg

picture546f.jpg

6.6 400 V8 sitting in the engine bay:

picture644g.jpg

picture643.jpg

Black Interior:

picture468i.jpg

Back of the truck showing the tailgate panel:

picture616o.jpg

6.6 400 mid tear down:

picture600r.jpg

4x4 cross-member

picture565.jpg

1980 correct 6.6 400 V8 catalyst sticker. :)

picture560.jpg

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
The driver's side lower molding in front of the rear wheel well. You can see where I'm still running the plain aluminum molding there in the pictures. The 1980-Mid 1981 moldings have a trapezoid shape, while the 1981-1986 moldings are flat. I need the trapezoid style, which is why it's so hard to find that molding.

I also need a set of 351M/400 stock valve covers.

Oh, and there's a little chrome trim ring that Ford put around the shifter boots on the 1980-1981 Ranger XLT and Ranger Lariat trucks. I need the one for the transfer case.

Everything else I need I can get locally. Those are just the three hardest parts to find.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Hi Shaun, remember me?! Your truck sure is looking sharp! I remember seeing your interior pics and saying to myself that is the woodgrain option I want!!
Well, I was able to do much part swapping too, and it's so easy to do with our Gen. Trucks :) plug&play.

I remember you for sure!

Thanks!

That's what I loved about my interior swap. Everything was pretty much already there!

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Looking Great Shaun. If I come across what you are looking for I will let you know.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks!

The interior is almost as it would have been if the truck was actually ordered as a Ranger Lariat with a black interior back in 1980. Only thing different is that instead of the slider locks, I swapped to the top pull button locks.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I don't know if I've ever said it but I really admire that interior swap.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

It's not even finished. I eventually will swap to a tilt column, find some better condition wood-grain panels for the door panels, have the seat re-upholstered, and don't forget that the T-case shifter isn't in this picture. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Exterior swap made a world of difference!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts