Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ujoint Dana 60 Front Axle

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
neat... wonder if dad has one..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They work well, if I was going to use it everyday I would buy a better one, but for my purposes it has served me well.
I also bought a 10 ton pullback ram.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
dad said hed thought about getting one a few times but still hadnt... HF has mixed reviews for theirs... Northern claims to have it for about what i could buy a new axle for...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've got the same one...I checked it at the store to make sure everything was there and it has worked flawlessly.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
some of the reviews said they didnt fill it with enough oil.. then there were others saying the breather hole wasnt drilled properly... going to try a cheap route tomorrw after a little shopping first.. someone else suggested a grade 8 fine threaded bolt.. a nut.. thick washers... and a steel sleeve... unscrew the nut and have it push the lobes apart like they do with some ball joints...

if that doesnt work i guess ill be seeing what the new HF up the street has..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That might work with the rod and washers.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
will find out... would be nice if a cheap fix would work...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
True enough...but you would be surprised how handy those hydraulic kits are.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
lol ive wanted one before...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ok time for some pictures...

I figure yall can figure out how a tire comes off so no need to show that part lol

first task was getting the front dually spacer off...

image_zpsumnoqilk.jpeg

image_zps5foczu2b.jpeg

my lil 12 oz hammer wasnt going to budge it.. and discovered someone borrowed the 5lb mini sledge... so i was forced to use my yellow hammers cousin lil bubba... it convinced the spacer it needed to come off effectively..

image_zps9odv7up2.jpeg

and while i was at it... i was getting oxidation on the hub locks outter caps to the point i couldnt read the lock and free words anymore so i got a little distracted during disassembly and decided to solve it once and for all.. while this pic shows the brush on i remembered i had the spray on as well and did it with that...

image_zpsajchc4jq.jpeg

image_zpsuofpmtyb.jpeg

im no picaso with free hand stenciling.. but least now i can read the free and lock positions..

image_zpsqqkdmwml.jpeg

thats a 3/4" 20" long breaker bar on a 13/16 1/2" socket.. with a 3" pole on the end of the breaker bar... where my impact wasnt budging them nuts that "extended" breaker bar did hehe

image_zpsqtbirh9a.jpeg

i also had to persuade the wheel hub off as nature had rusted the 2 together..

image_zpsupchnlen.jpeg

image_zpsemy9ddzi.jpeg

again.. bubba seems to becoming more and more handy with this truck..

image_zpscjf58jmj.jpeg

image_zps4vxhjm7m.jpeg

lil time with the wire wheel on the drill cleaned up the knuckle too..

image_zpsd4nz5sao.jpeg

was a good thing i had the tent up for the sun cuz about that time the skies opened up and just down poured... (unfortunately it did today too :( )

image_zpsgufglq5g.jpeg

tried to keep from getting wet here but with the wind and as hard as it was pouring it was a lost cause...

had retreated to the shed to get the ujoints out only to discover either the press had bent the ears on the axles or they were previously... either way i needed to solve it..

image_zps6xdmbwql.jpeg

found a post on a jeep forum of someone talking about having a similar problem with their axle in a dana.. they suggested some washers a grade 8 bolt and a steel sleeve.. so figured id try the cheap route and do it with mine... was the best i could come up with....

image_zpsbbciv0am.jpeg

but hey it worked... lol...

image_zpst0qnpa6p.jpeg

and now the axles back together.. but just as i finished with it the skies opened up again like they did yesterday so reassembly be postponed till tomorrow..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Are those bricks under the jack stands? Tsk, Tsk. You bring BFH to a whole new level. :D

sorta... broken patio stone square with a piece of particle board.. jack stand sinks into the ground if i dont... and with as tall as the axle sits at full extension the jack stand would barely have the tire off the ground.. i needed it up high enough to keep the axle goo inside the carrier cuz i didnt want to drain it.. lol

lol i like my BFH... they work well as a persuasion tool...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I made one of the little nut and bolt press things they actually worked better than I thought it would.
I had small press and it broke so I improvised like you did.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
my next option was to visit harbor freight and buy a $199 tool

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i need to see the mactool guy about my 14 yr old impact gun... its just not cutting it anymore... acts like its got no butt to it anymore...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have a old Ingersoll Rand thunder gun it has lost a little power over the years.
My harbor freight earthquake I picked up at a auction for next to nothing has impressive nut busting power. My ancient blue point works is about all I can say for it.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
mines an IR2131... served fine for so many years... still good with the stang.. but lil duallys kind of laughing at it... supposedly has 600ft-lbs of nut busting tq but quickly drops to 450ft lbs.. just doesnt seem to be enough anymore...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Axles back in place... now i just gotta put the rest of it back together... nature chased me in again today... weve been getting some bad lightning storms lately...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts