Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tweaking tips

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
A good tune-up will definitely help. And yes, advancing the timing...factory timing is set at 10* BTDC...mine is currently 15 1/2* BTDC and I'm lovin it! Also, an engine ain't nothin but an air pump....a better intake setup and better more free-flowing exhaust will definitely help.

its a 1989 F350 with a 460 has 153,000 miles on it adjusted the timing to about 13.5 btdc runs better but anymore and it falls back off thinking theres a lot of tolerance slack due to wear and tear

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
At your mileage it maybe time to change your timing gear. You can change your timing gear to a pre emission set up which will help.71-74. Also a high quality plug wires,plugs. A K&N filter will help some. At you mileage it maybe time to change your timing gear.

Changed timing gears and chain about 1500 miles ago when water pump went out has new distributor cap and roter button new plugs and wires new MSD coil just dont seem to have power i believe it should. any idea on horsepowerr numbers for the motor.

At your mileage it maybe time to change your timing gear. You can change your timing gear to a pre emission set up which will help.71-74. Also a high quality plug wires,plugs. A K&N filter will help some. At you mileage it maybe time to change your timing gear.

A K&N filter will not help, the factory filter has enough air flow for all but the most modified engines and the K&N does not filter ask well as a factory one.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
A K&N filter will not help, the factory filter has enough air flow for all but the most modified engines and the K&N does not filter ask well as a factory one.

This is true about the K&N...... 230 hp @ 3600 rpm

390 ft/lb @ 2000 rpm

Can either one of you explain the dyno proven increases?
I have personally witnessed an increase.
So if its b.s. why does it work?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Changed timing gears and chain about 1500 miles ago when water pump went out has new distributor cap and roter button new plugs and wires new MSD coil just dont seem to have power i believe it should. any idea on horsepowerr numbers for the motor.

If the timing gear you bought was for 1989, you won't get the timing to pre emission standard.

Also what brand of plugs,wires,dist,rotor button did you use?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
i have seen k&n make a diffference before but never seen one used on a 460 wouldnt think something like that would hurt anything but worth the money?

Ues I have used a K&N on a 97 F150 I use to have it does help.

Just cheap wires, cap, and button from orilleys but used bosch plugs. whats the difference between the pre emission timing gear and the stock one and is a '71 to '74 a direct match

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Just cheap wires, cap, and button from orilleys but used bosch plugs. whats the difference between the pre emission timing gear and the stock one and is a '71 to '74 a direct match

Yes the 71-74 is a direct match. The cheap plug wires,dist cap,rotor may not be able to handle the extra power a MSD coil puts out so you are not getting all of its potential. I never use Bosch plugs in a Ford. Motorcraft is what I use.But I do plan on E3 plugs next tune up.

ive heard you can remove most of the emission controls on my truck and i want to know if it will make a difference with power and which ones i can remove and the motor still runs correctly any tips? what about fuel can i adjust the pressure any and if so how much pressure is good stock is between 30 and 45 psi.

ive heard you can remove most of the emission controls on my truck and i want to know if it will make a difference with power and which ones i can remove and the motor still runs correctly any tips? what about fuel can i adjust the pressure any and if so how much pressure is good stock is between 30 and 45 psi.

I'm 99.9% the cats can be removed with no modification, please not it is illegal to do so but there are ways that you can make it look like they are still there ;).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts