Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tune up time!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Motorcraft spark plugs are the only way to fly. I tried some fancy ones when I was feeling rich and I think they actually ran worse. I switched back and never looked back. You have me curious about the other components though.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Motorcraft spark plugs are the only way to fly. I tried some fancy ones when I was feeling rich and I think they actually ran worse. I switched back and never looked back. You have me curious about the other components though.

Ryan

Varies by truck....

Trucks like yours like Motorcraft coppers. My Rangers would eat them for breakfast...they like dual plats, if you want any longevity.

*Motorcraft and Autolite come out of the same factory...and Autolite is often easier and/or cheaper to find.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have that done on my 95 F350, tho i use plat plugs, and have a MSG 6al box on it. The coppers ware out too fast for me, and i like plats. We use em all the time at work, stock 03 E350 with a 5.4 comes with motorcraft platums and last to 100K, y use copper that last like 30K if that. Them wires are awesome, as cheap as a crappy set from autozone or wherever.

In my 88 stang, 5.0, 88 bronk 5.0, 92 f150 5.0, and 95 f350 5.8, i use all bosch plats. runs awesome, and lasts forever. Plus with the long tubes, the plugs are shorter and keeps the wires closer too the block soo the headers dont burn em up.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Done!

mobilephotomar720106423.jpg

I'll start by saying that my first impressions are "meh."

I didn't see any HUGE performance gains BUT! I also started with presumably good plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. All of the components only had around 20k miles on them but I wanted to replace them in an effort to fix my PIP code (by basically throwing parts at it).

I started with Motorcraft copper plugs (same ones as the new ones I put in), regular 8mm Motorcraft wires, and Motorcraft cap/rotor. I replaced the plugs with the same Motorcraft coppers, wires with 9mm Ford Racing wires, and cap/rotor with MSD parts. I also already had the MSD Blaster Coil since I did my last tuneup. One notable difference is that I gapped my new plugs from .044 to .055; old ones were stock gap. I was also already running at 12* so actually there was very little change to my ignition system with this tuneup except for the bigger wires and gapped plugs.

Now I will say that it feels like my truck is running a lot smoother. Acceleration actually feels less chug-a-lug; just smoooother. Hard to describe. I got a hint of my truck having less of a struggle to get out from under it's own weight (a problem that I've always struggled with with this big truck)-- but overall I will be honest with you, I don't think my truck is any closer to being a rocket than it was before.

Worth it? Well I don't know yet if my PIP code is gone (I'll check after I drive back to Davis), but if the PIP code is gone then DEFINITELY worth it. If not-- I think I'd still say it was worth it. My truck just feels like it's running better.

But to answer your questions-- I can't say for sure if this has given my big performance gains... But the parts didn't cost a lot more than the regular parts so I'd say this would be good to do when you're due for a tuneup, but probably not any sooner...

More to report about gas mileage after my next fillup.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You forgot too add about calling me, and how I saved your day. Lol Just to rub it in.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
It oughta never light with Autolite....it oughta crap with motorcrap. Never had luck in this truck with either of em...NGK V powers for me with 16* timing and tons of torque with decent mileage....Got a link for them wires? And did they fit nice or were they way too dang long?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It oughta never light with Autolite....it oughta crap with motorcrap. Never had luck in this truck with either of em...NGK V powers for me with 16* timing and tons of torque with decent mileage....Got a link for them wires? And did they fit nice or were they way too dang long?
Wires:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-12259-C301/

And yeah they were pretty long but not WAY too long. Still manageable with a few wire clamps as you can see in the picture.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Meh... I wouldn't trust my cutting and splicing to be as reliable as a factory wire. Maybe on a hot rod that's only for show but not on a daily driver that's rackin' up miles.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
How do you think your wires were made CHRIS, haha some factory cut em. Yea firing order. Lol poor Chris

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Trust ur self there kid, u did manage to do a shift kit, and then undo it.

Cope&Dies

gab-d a snaks
dude, seriously. you have your 130amp 3g alt listed in your "mods." could you be any more "vats up"?
-bruno

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Trust ur self there kid, u did manage to do a shift kit, and then undo it.
Meh-- I half undid it. Lol! Just put the springs back to stock. It still shift stiff, just not sloppy like before.

dude, seriously. you have your 130amp 3g alt listed in your "mods." could you be any more "vats up"?
-bruno
It was a "mod".... These trucks never came stock with a 130amp alternator, I had to frankenstain an alternator case from a powerstroke with the guts from a taurus and rebuilt it myself. Not to mention upgrading my charge cables to handle the extra load.

Ford Truck Articles