Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tune up question what should i go with?

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
so Im about to do a total tune up and Im trying to figure out what plugs/wires/cap i wanna go with... Im leaning towards the gold cap and rotor from autozone, mid grade wires and maybe Bosch platinum plugs. i seen a performance plug set online by accel for $29.. that's like $6 more than the Bosch.... first question. "would it be a waste to put performance plugs on a stock coil? and spiral wires vs suppression? i usually just go with the cheapest stuff but i wanna upgrade a little...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Is your motor mostly stock?

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if you want to stay relatively stock..

stock replacement coil, motorcraft cap and rotor, Omni-Spark 8mm plug wires from O'reilly's.. american made in kentucky and i had them for a while.. good wires.

NGK V-powers for the plugs... best plug out there.. the whole thought of Motorcrafts are the best for these 302, 351's, is horsecrap. NGK's are similar if not IMO better, and they at some places cheaper..

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Bosch plugs/wires aren't bad. Decent quality, don't seem to crap out before the next tuneup. As a matter of fact, I ran a set of plugs and wires for WAY too long and the plugs crapped out before the wires.

So long as its not a set of Autolites...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Bosch plugs/wires aren't bad. Decent quality, don't seem to crap out before the next tuneup. As a matter of fact, I ran a set of plugs and wires for WAY too long and the plugs crapped out before the wires.

So long as its not a set of Autolites...

and the autolite thing i find hilarious...

Autolite(Honeywell) produces the Motorcraft plugs...

emtzach

i get paid to do this
I always had better luck with fomoco cap and rotor. unless you are going to upgrade to an MSD ignition I wouldn't expect much gains with anything fancy. All or nothing bud. just the old 5.0 mustang guy in me

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
Update

so i just installed the duralast wires and duralast cap autolite plugs.... it made it run much much better BUT.... the check engine light came on for some reason? haven't had a chance to pull the codes yet but i was wondering since it had ORIGINAL I repeat ORIGINAL wires on it dated 1995.... could the New wires and cap make it show lean or rich? since it is actually firing right? OR maybe i loosened a vacuum line? haven't had time to check the codes or lines.... any ideas?

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
yeah its all stock Im not looking for performance gains persay just want it running at its best... the wires and cap i took off were completely shot.... it just sucks doing a tune up and getting a check engine light...

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
yeah it runs way better than before the change... its throwing codes 111 and 332... light only comes on after driving it a mile or two... Im kinda stumped on this tho I've never known a tune up to cause a check engine light

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
332 is a code about the EGR valve not opening. This is unrelated to your spark plug swap, I think. 111 doesn't really mean anything, don't worry about it.

Ryan

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
yeah Chris you was right.... after pulling all the plastic covering off the vacuum lines the green one going to the egr line was broke.. good thing i picked up about 8ft of vacuum line last time that happened..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts