Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

TTB Question

I have always been more of a GEN 6 kinda guy so I have 0 time with the TTB, but the other day I ran across an ’88 F-250 4X4 with the mechanical 7.3. I took it for a spin and the ride in that truck was great. Still not so much digging the body but I can always swap one of mine on later. My question is this, how tough is the TTB in these trucks? If I get it, it will be used often as a go anywhere camper truck sort of thing. I want to run 285/75-16 on 8-in rims which are about 33in tall, will have a camper slightly taller than the cab (6 to 8 in) winch bumper up front. May do some towing the heaviest would be a car trailer with another truck on it but only on rare occasions, I have a 73 F-350 SCS for that. The only other thing that would add weight would be whatever gear I need to carry for hunting or just a weekend in the woods. Some of the places I want to go with it will be a little rough but no rock crawling or anything major, more like rutted muddy trails or abandoned roads. Do you guys think the front end will hold up? If not I will pass on the truck, if I have to swap fronts I will just start with an older truck and drop a diesel in it. Thanks for your time and thank in advance for any input.

Fellro

Staff member
Other than u-joints and the occasional ball joints, the ttb suspension has held under all of our trucks, one hasn't really had anything done since 84, and it was a farm truck with gooseneck, so you can imagine how it has been treated.

I have always been more of a GEN 6 kinda guy so I have 0 time with the TTB, but the other day I ran across an ’88 F-250 4X4 with the mechanical 7.3. I took it for a spin and the ride in that truck was great. Still not so much digging the body but I can always swap one of mine on later. My question is this, how tough is the TTB in these trucks? If I get it, it will be used often as a go anywhere camper truck sort of thing. I want to run 285/75-16 on 8-in rims which are about 33in tall, will have a camper slightly taller than the cab (6 to 8 in) winch bumper up front. May do some towing the heaviest would be a car trailer with another truck on it but only on rare occasions, I have a 73 F-350 SCS for that. The only other thing that would add weight would be whatever gear I need to carry for hunting or just a weekend in the woods. Some of the places I want to go with it will be a little rough but no rock crawling or anything major, more like rutted muddy trails or abandoned roads. Do you guys think the front end will hold up? If not I will pass on the truck, if I have to swap fronts I will just start with an older truck and drop a diesel in it. Thanks for your time and thank in advance for any input.
The D50 TTB in that truck is more than enough for that!

Fellro

Staff member
Not a guaranteed D50, have a 44 in my 86 with the 6.9, and D44 on the one parts truck diesel, D50 under the 84 Supercab diesel, and a D50 in the white parts truck which is an F350

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
d50 came in the 250sd.

you can get the info from the vin...

Uhm...
I run 37"s on my d50 and run it through mud, ive had a few issues with u-joints. But its help up the abuse somewhat well...

For your use, it should do fine. First thing you want to do to that front end is replace the leaf springs though, if there factory they will sag and you get the "ford squat" if you reverse into a parking spot.

add more weight and it squats more, makes your tires wear uneven...

I ran 33"s on my truck for a few years, had no issues with it at all...

far out thanks guys. I had just heard that the 33's might be pushing if I load at all so wanted to ask befor I went any further. Will go get into it alittle more by this weekend and my just bring another on home lol

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Before you do anything, i suggest a good rebuild of the front end.
Ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings and the leaf springs. Once everything is good and tight. you will get many miles out of it trouble free...

Be easy on it though, there notorious for being whacked out of alignment...
I know mine was TERRIBLE about it with 37"s

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with the rest of the folks here...I used to be pretty anti-ttb, but then I realized on the road, the ride was a night and day difference. I still wouldn't use the set up for anything more than 35" tire could pull you through...and I wouldn't trust it on the rocks with much more than a stock vehicle. Outside of that, I say go for it. I'll echo the others in saying go ahead and rebuild the front so you can start with a clean canvas. While neglect of maintenance can be an issue with any front end, I've found the ttb to be more fickle. So my preference would be to start from scratch so I know exactly what's going on.

Fellro

Staff member
Pretty common for the center bushings to get worn, then the camber gets off, and the insides of the tires wear. That pretty well describes the 84. My 86 isn't as bad, but likely was better cared for.

I left for work right after I comented on this. Today while workin I was thinkin "well I might be able to go ahead and get those Hummer tires for it" after reading these I reckon I'll stick with the 285's.

@Ben I was amazed at the ride of this truck. I had a 75 F-150 4X4 that I thought rode pretty good but this thing is like a Linclon in comparison. I drove it mostly to check out the motor to just do a swap but after the ride I got thinking about leaving it, hence the question.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
No issues with a Bronco that I used to plow with. It only had 31s but the plow isn't the easiest thing on a frontend and it held up fine. I would also agree with what was said before. For what you descirbed as your intended use I don't think you will run into much of a problem. Just be ready to throw new ball joints, etc at it like said. But this is a good idea for any truck that you want to be reliable and last a long time.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I have run 37"s on my d50. With no major breaks, ive had a few u-joints give out. Ive had it in mud up to the rockers. Saw the wheels back and forth give it all it had, and it didnt break. I will say though, that the alignment is the hardest thing with 37"s....

If its a 44 i wouldn't consider it.

I was happy with 285's on the ttb...

Ford Truck Articles