Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trying to drive with the parking brake on....

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
yeah i feel pretty stupid but the other day i set the brake and when i came back out i just hopped in tried to go... i figured i wasn't moving due to the snow piled up in front of my front tires when i stopped so i dug the snow out and managed to pull out but it felt really weird that's when i was like OH CRAP!!! my brake is on... i know it put the tranny in a Heck of a bind cause usually my right wheel spins but my left one was doing the work this time.... how bad can that be on the torque converter and trans? it was bound up pretty tight like i was trying to pull something way too heavy... it would do more damage to converter than trans right?go ahead make fun of me or say whatever cause it was an extremely stupid move but on way home from work seemed like converter wanted to kick out on the smallest hills??

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ive done it before i dont think that badly...

but im not sure on damage... but just a tip there should be a "brake" light on the dash on the left side just below the CEL...

everybody has made a goof mistake before like this as well..
dont feel bad..

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
no light Im thinking the park brake switch might not work.... this thread kinda relates to my other thread. usually my right tire only spins but when i did this it was the left one spinning... i looked up the diff in my truck it shows regular axle... not posi or limited slip but why was the other tire spinning

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Your probably imagining any damage... I wouldn't make a habit of it, but I think everyone has driven a short way with the brake on at least once... Unless you really strained the hell out of it it should be fine. Most parking brakes don't hold strong enough to hurt the transmission...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

You didn't hurt anything in the transmission. If you drove any distance like miles, you might ware some brake lining. That's all.
We used to set the brake to get a like that to get an even amount of drive pressure to both wheels while in a slick situation or stuck.

Ford Truck Articles