Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

True Dual exhaust

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I was wondering if anyone had true duals coming out in front of the back tires on a truck with dual fuel tanks....and if you did I'd like to see some pics of how you did it. Eliminating one of my tanks is not an option....I like the option and I always use both tanks.Thanks.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Cant see big deal . Around here they have duals coming out right under rear tank filler to the side . As long as not running at fillups . should be OK . As for the pipe running under tank most hot rods /and small shop set go right under tank.

I did it with the 86 F350 I had .

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Never had issue with it . Had 460 and 4" chrome stacks cut to run under tank. And they got hot .

Like said front, back what the difference. Put larger pipe over one used to act as a heat shield over pipe if worried about it . But I drive in country little stop and go . We'll see what others say .

1977 EXPLORER

Tennesee Chapter Member
Never had issue with it . Had 460 and 4" chrome stacks cut to run under tank. And they got hot .

Like said front, back what the difference. Put larger pipe over one used to act as a heat shield over pipe if worried about it . But I drive in country little stop and go . We'll see what others say .

Could also wrap it with header wrap if the heat is a worry.I dont see it being a problem as long as it is not touching the tank.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You never seen my gangster dual kit on the bronco?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Go X like on stangs, you can get em cheap on ebay. On a 2wd truck, id say it will be easy to make duals. If I didnt have the tcase in the way I would make a sweet setup. Wail till the lightining.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Isn't an X pipe the same as running a y-pipe that splits to duals? Because at the center of the X you are essentially combining the two pipes down to 1 pipe the same way you would on a Y-pipe setup like stock. Technically my truck has true duals and an X pipe, except the center part of the X got stretched out to about 5 feet long :D

Great White

New Jersey Chapter member
I prefer the sound of straight through with long tubes, no X or H. By the way im in cali right now, and Im jealous of the rustless frames.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
an H or and X isnt goin to make much difference untill you get into big inch high HP engines. for the extra cost of installing an H or X i wouldnt bother. i run 2 1/2" pipes on my 92 and 3" with flowmasters on my 96 with a 460

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Isn't an X pipe the same as running a y-pipe that splits to duals? Because at the center of the X you are essentially combining the two pipes down to 1 pipe the same way you would on a Y-pipe setup like stock. Technically my truck has true duals and an X pipe, except the center part of the X got stretched out to about 5 feet long :D

ive always felt the same way too... but some "experts" claim its not cuz the flow gets divided between the 2 pipes... with the way the stangs x's are designed (since someone mentioned stangs specifically) the X isnt all that wide.. less you get a crappy designed one... where with the Y's its combining and staying that way the rest of the system...

personally id rather have the H as well mainly cuz they sound better than the X's...

theres also another thing ive never understood when people want to talk about exhaust, its the engines "firing orders"... always hear people saying how certain engines have "even firing" where others are not and are the reasons they need "balanced exhaust".. ive just never understood this point.. seeing as how no 2 cyls are firing at the exact same time to begin with.. so if it it needs done with one engine it should have to be done with the others as well imo...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea people say that about stangs my gen, fox bodies. I ran no H or X and it was all the same to me lol, I have a BBK X now. I think the balanced exhaust was to help with scaviging or however you spell it, I remember something about it in school.

Ford Truck Articles