Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

truck won't start

Ok, I tried to search for this on the forum but I didn't find the answers.

Put new tires on the truck the other day. Got an alignment. All excited, drove it home thinking I can finally drive my truck again without any more problems.

I was wrong. Got up the other day, it wont start. Turns over, but won't start. Can't hear the fuel pump. Swaped the ecm and fuel pump relays still nothing. I'm going to do a check for spark today and chech the inertia switch. Although, it has no red button just a plug.

I have a code reader and it says code 96 fuel pump secondary circuit fault.

Any ideas so i'm not hunting for a needle in a haystack?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, I tried to search for this on the forum but I didn't find the answers.

Put new tires on the truck the other day. Got an alignment. All excited, drove it home thinking I can finally drive my truck again without any more problems.

I was wrong. Got up the other day, it wont start. Turns over, but won't start. Can't hear the fuel pump. Swaped the ecm and fuel pump relays still nothing. I'm going to do a check for spark today and chech the inertia switch. Although, it has no red button just a plug.

I have a code reader and it says code 96 fuel pump secondary circuit fault.

Any ideas so i'm not hunting for a needle in a haystack?
Just for a hoot, I've had some that the inertia switch was bad (but the button wasn't thrown). Theres two wires on the switch, unplug the switch, and jumper the wires, then see if it will start.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
X2 on what snapon said.

AND, you can test the fuel pump at the DCL too. There's a diagram showing which pin is the Fuel Pump Test connection on www.fordfuelinjection.com. Ground that pin, and the pump should run any time the switch is on. Word of note, here, though, this will DEFINITELY cause a code 96. But, it bypasses the inertia switch and the ECM to turn on the relay. When the ECM thinks the output should be off (logic 1), and finds it on (logic 0), it flags the error, and likewise for the opposite conditions. You can actually monitor the voltage at the "common" of the fuel pump relay at that test point. If the fuel pump should be running, the voltage at that point should be about 0 volts. If not (the ECM output is turned off or the inertial switch is open) the voltage at that test point will be battery voltage. The ECM operates the fuel pump relay by grounding it, not by applying voltage to it. What we call Open Collector Output in the electrical world. To the best of my knowledge, all of the outputs from the ECM are open collector outputs.

Well I went through and did all the tests. Ended up being the Fuel Pump Relay. I did the DLC test and nothing happened. Replaced relay and away we go.

Thanks for the help.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
NP. Glad you found it. Every now and then, the EEC-IV will actually tell you what's wrong. ;o)

Ford Truck Articles