Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Truck will not coast

OK, so here is the latest; Pulled rear hubs and inspected brakes. Driver's side had springs fall out in pieces, passenger side not as bad but still older shoes and springs. No real signs of excessive heat or shoe wear that could explain the "drag" issue. Installed new brakes and adjusted. Noticed when turning rear tires some tightness as well as a spot that feels "flat". Reassembled and test drove, truck still has roar and drag but brakes are better. My plan now is to replace the rear axle bearings due to findings of tightness and flat spot. Once I pull the axles, is there a way I can tell if there are other issues with the other bearings, etc?

did you resurface the drums ?

No sir- did not resurface the drums. Visual inspection, didn't see a real need to but will keep it in mind for when I tear the rear axle down for the bearing work. Might be about as cheap to purchase new drums as to have them turned / resurfaced.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
just an fyi,it is alot less expense to turn the drums providing their within the limits of being machined & in good condition,than to purchase new drums.last time i think i paid around 12 bucks a drum.but prices do vary from shop to shop

Wait too long as you will be buying another set of shoes as well

were the drums braking surface shiny (Mirrored) enough to comb your hair in ?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts