Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

truck is blowin white smoke

my truck is blowin white smoke from the exhaust on my 71 f100 someone told me it was the timing maybe the headgasket i just got a new carburetor distubutor and all new plugs anyone know what it might be?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
White smoke means there's coolant being burned somewhere...so more than likely, a blown head gasket. Just checking, but this isn't only on start up right? If it is, it's probably just steam/condensation burn off.

If it reaches operating temp and still does it, then I'd check your coolant level and/or see if you can smell coolant out the pipe. Some smoke during startup, isn't anything to sweat.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok also along with a possible head gasket does your tranny shift good and at the right times? if not the modulator may be allowing fluid to get past it and the vacuum line pulls it into the engine and the engine burns it off. happened on my 88. thought i may had been a head gasket then the tranny started shifting crappy and it was the modulator valve. and it was doing just as i said allowing tranny fluid into the engine and it was burning off.

rambler

New Shoes......
my vote is headgasket.. but as everyone else said, if it stops right after start up it could just be condensation...

Ford Truck Articles