Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

truck dies....

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
21... cooling temperature sensor out of specs or ect out of range
Could be user error was the truck completely warmed up

23.... TP sensor out of range or Idle set to high (idle is mine had to to keep it running)
Check the TPS voltage simple easy test

21... cooling temperature sensor out of specs or ect out of range
Could be user error was the truck completely warmed up

23.... TP sensor out of range or Idle set to high (idle is mine had to to keep it running)
Check the TPS voltage simple easy test
x2 :) Yeah, the EEC's TPS (report) test was bogus but check it anyway?

I made 3 short jumpers out of wires from the parts truck.
Soldered the twisted-together wires which left meter connections. :)
I also staggered the connections so they wouldn't touch each other so easy.

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Warm the truck up and redo the test and don't forget to do the WOT at the pulse where you have to press the gas pedal down or you will get a tps error from this.
Your reader will flash your Engine ID Code, this should be four flashes.
Immediately after you see the Engine ID Code depress the brake pedal, turn the steering wheel at least 1/2 turn, and for E4OD Automatic Transmission cycle the Overdrive Cancel Switch.

after about 6-20 seconds you will get another pulse/flash this is when you depress the gas pedal.

after another 10 seconds or so you will get any codes.

Mine did the same thing. Never gave me an error code. Replaced everything from coil, iac, fuel pressure regulator, plug wires, etc., etc. End up being the PIP sensor in the distributor. I tried to replace it but couldn't get the gear off of the shaft. Finally replaced the whole distributor assembly.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok... adjusted the idle back down to factory location.....

reset computer, drove it for 20 miles... came back with codes...

and

again... im gonna pull off the NEW throttle position sensor and swap it out as i may have gotten a bad one.. and see if that does anything...

checked for vacuum leaks.. nothing...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Mine did the same thing. Never gave me an error code. Replaced everything from coil, iac, fuel pressure regulator, plug wires, etc., etc. End up being the PIP sensor in the distributor. I tried to replace it but couldn't get the gear off of the shaft. Finally replaced the whole distributor assembly.

if it is that then at least its a simple fix.. but im gonna check everything else first.. but wont be throwing parts at it..

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Why not test the voltage of the tps before swapping it out and save yourself some time. Why guess ?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts