Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trim Items, where to get 'em?

I'm in need of a new piece of tailgate trim for my '90 F-150. You know that signature faux-aluminum panel fitted to 8th/9th generation F-Series trucks? Well, mine needs replacing. Here it is before a forklift cracked it:

0bd09657.jpg

Its got a stupid LED-light bar on it in lieu of the black stripe with Ford emblem anyway (previous owner installed it), and that won't be making a return.

I'm in Alaska, so its always a ***** finding stuff like this for any car. I usually have to out of state, because the closest pull-it-yourself salvage yard is over 200 miles away. There are no repo or aesthetic trim/badge/parts stores in sight, and the best I've got to deal with is Napa and friend's junk yards which sometimes possess the parts I need.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Man those panels through NPD and LMC are expensive as hell Chris (Skankdocious) had a new one...someone plowed it and he's cussin a storm (still) they are a pretty penny, but if you're hellbent, try Ebay or National Parts Depot.

Well I'm gonna try to remove it. The bed gate itself (I think) is fine. I'm just worried it'll look like **** underneath. Which it prolly does. So I'd like to replace it.

I'm already paying $80 for a new, factory grill. I've heard you can pick those things up for as little as $25 from you-pull-it yards. But uh, we don't got those things up here.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
When you pull the rear panel off you'll see your gate is riddled with holes (for mounting the panel) Some Gen 9 trucks clean up well with a Gen8 tailgate on em.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
On my dad's 87,FORD was still stamped across the tailgate like a truck without a factory tailgate panel.But like JR said,it'll be riddled with nickel size (give or take) holes.

Sadly,the panels break all the time,and usually when one in good condition shows up at a junkyard,it disappears,sometimes before the truck even hits the ground.Those willing to sell them want a fortune for them.

Best of luck though man!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Your truck had red strip new.

Flea bay or one of r members may have decent one hiding in the shed

Under panel r several 3/4 inch holes that any body shop will fill with ease. And 2 small one on each end .

I have many OK ones but to ship it wont be worth it .

As for grill. I can get them for all time but they r trashed. Chrome fad ect.

And if you get oem one new for $80 got for it , Thats price of after market one here.

Good luck keep us posted.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You can get a new panel from NPD, LMC or Dennis Carpenter...but they're $600+ new. I'm still waiting for Chris to find a box to send me one if not both of his, so back off...they're mine.

Good luck with your search. I remember how nice my truck (and all other new Ford trucks at the time) looked back when they were new. But once one of those trim panels got dinged, dented or broken, they were a bear to deal with. Mine lasted nearly the entire life of the truck. I actually took off the red "lens" and put white reflective tape under the red lens to make the thing useful. Something I never understood why Ford didn't do.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm in need of a new piece of tailgate trim for my '90 F-150. You know that signature faux-aluminum panel fitted to 8th/9th generation F-Series trucks? Well, mine needs replacing. Here it is before a forklift cracked it.
E7TZ99425A34A .. Tailgate Finish Panel / Obsolete

Fits: 1987/91 F150/350 / Last MSRP: $293.05 // Dealer net cost: $175.83.

DAMSKOV FORD SALES in Omak WA has ONE = 509-826-2000.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has TWO = 800-543-4959.

I'll betcha the Ford dealer is cheaper. Since it's obsolete, it can no longer be returned it to Ford for credit, so the dealer is STUCK with it.

Any luck yet? I have one I can send you...its in good shape except for where a PO had put a sticker in one corner...PM me if you're interested..

Ford Truck Articles