Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission Question

I was under the impression I had a ZF transmission. When I took a look today I didn't see a ZF on the side like I expected. What exactly do I have?

BTW: 87 F250 manual w/ 302

tranny.jpg

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Maybe you have the M5OD let me see if I can find a pic of one. Nope ebay dont have any. Maybe someone can help ya out more then me.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
WHoooaaaa NOW you want my help about transmissions?! i think not! smilietease

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Here ya go, this is from the "other site"

Q: I have a Brog Warner Transmission sitting inthe garage (sound familiar?) and need some help with ID. The only numbers I can find are 13-01-065-907. Above those numbers are 0217 but they are upside down. I need to find out which model this is and then decide if I am going to keep it or give it away. I tried the transmission forum but no responses.
A:13-01 could be a T98 or an early T18. More likely the T98, though. They both used the same case and top plate. There realy isn't much diffrence between the two. It should also be a granny gear model, So if you don't want it, try selling it to a Jeeper or the 4x4 gang. they love those low gears
A2:Thanks a bunch. I finially found a Borg-Warner site and the transmission is a T-18. I need to find out if it will work on a 65 f100 4x4 and if it does I think I will use it instead of the NP435 since "a transmission in the garage is worth two days work pulling the other one out to use".

Here ya go, this is from the "other site"

Q: I have a Brog Warner Transmission sitting inthe garage (sound familiar?) and need some help with ID. The only numbers I can find are 13-01-065-907. Above those numbers are 0217 but they are upside down. I need to find out which model this is and then decide if I am going to keep it or give it away. I tried the transmission forum but no responses.
A:13-01 could be a T98 or an early T18. More likely the T98, though. They both used the same case and top plate. There realy isn't much diffrence between the two. It should also be a granny gear model, So if you don't want it, try selling it to a Jeeper or the 4x4 gang. they love those low gears
A2:Thanks a bunch. I finially found a Borg-Warner site and the transmission is a T-18. I need to find out if it will work on a 65 f100 4x4 and if it does I think I will use it instead of the NP435 since "a transmission in the garage is worth two days work pulling the other one out to use".

Looks like you got it. According to the Borg Warner site, I have a T18

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Wierd. At least we know now lol.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Who knows, Ford does wierd stuff, like on Fox stangs, let put a 5.0HO with 4 lug and drum brakes, and a speedo that goes to 85. I had my speedo needle resting on the trip odo button a few times.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My ol' 91 Civ Hatch 4speed could do 95mph down a hill lol. Best freebie ever.

My truck is the 4 speed with granny.

Surely they are not related other than the name. :suspicious:

The 3 speed in my 56 was used up until the mid 70s. I was syncronized at some point along the line, but a lot of the parts still interchange.

there should be a sticker in the driver door jam that has a tranny code.
the m5od came in '88 and up. yours is an 18 or 19

andym

Real men are fanatics
My guess is a T-19 though, they were usually in the 3/4 ton trucks.

Easy way to find out - is first gear synchronized? That is, can you put the tranny in first gear without coming to a complete stop? If so, then it's a T-19.

If it grinds when you try to put it in first while you're moving, even a little, then you have a T-18.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts