Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission leak.

I have a 97 F150 4.6 4wd aproxx 200k mile's It developed a leak that i thought was from the rear of the pan gasket. turns out it is comming from between the adapter and the transmission. anyone ever tackled trying to change that seal?? how hard would it be? I assume its just a typical gasket?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Just a gasket, on both sides of the adapter. Sometimes the bolts just loosen themselves

If you have to replace the gaskets, other than being heavy, it's a simple job

Considering Ive man handled a C6 and 205 while Laying on my back i think ill be able to manage. Thanks for the answer though!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem
You will see that there is a drift pin in there, it only goes back together one way

A word of advice, make sure to have a good sized drain pan ready, half of the transmission fluid is going to be right there at the back of the transmission

Pan is already out so some of it has been drained. either way itll be a project for later as im not gonna jump into it tonight!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Might as well roll the converter, and pull the plug there too. Put mercon 5 back in it

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts