Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission inline filter?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
What do you fellas think about installing an inline filter for the transmission lines?

Would it help maintain it better?

I didn't even know they made one for transmission lines and I saw it when I was ordering the filter and gasket for the 79.

Manimal

California Chapter member
I would think anything you can do to help keep trans fluid clean would be very beneficial to the longevity of the trans.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oil is oil (loosely stated)...it'll pass through a filter. I'm planning on picking a remote oil filter kit for the Bronco for the trans oil to pass through once I throw the new C6 in. I'll do trans outlet to remote filter to radiator trans cooler to remote trans cooler to trans inlet.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I would think anything you can do to help keep trans fluid clean would be very beneficial to the longevity of the trans.

x2 it cant hurt anything to have extra filtration... superduty trucks have both an internal and an external filter on them...

Fellro

Staff member
I can't see what it would hurt. Be a heck of a lot better than having to drop the pan... You will still have to do that on occasion, but may well extend the life there as well.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Cool.....when I was ordering my filter and gasket kit, I saw that as an option and didn't even know it existed or why....just for better protection I suppose.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
$20.79 at Rockauto:
tran_filter_2.jpg

$15.48 Rockauto:
tran_filter_1.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
x2 it cant hurt anything to have extra filtration... superduty trucks have both an internal and an external filter on them...

Yeah...I'll definitely be using a cooler from a 6.0...frickin massive. And I've thought about just snagging the filter set up too.

$20.79 at Rockauto:
tran_filter_2.jpg

$15.48 Rockauto:
tran_filter_1.jpg

I'm thinking something more like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1120/overview/

You could probably go a cheaper if you start with the following and just grab what you want...ie hoses:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1028

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yeah...I'll definitely be using a cooler from a 6.0...frickin massive. And I've thought about just snagging the filter set up too.

I'm thinking something more like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1120/overview/

You could probably go a cheaper if you start with the following and just grab what you want...ie hoses:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1028

Hey Ben, these are for oil, right? The 77 has a system like this set up which is why the 2 chrome covers that stick out just below the front bumper (relocated and with dual filtration),

But you wouldn't use this system for the tranny, right?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Like I said in my first post...a filter doesn't care what kind of oil is going through it...and oil doesn't care what kind of filter it's going through. It'll also add an extra half quart or so of fluid to the system...which is never a bad thing.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^Ahhhh....ok, I didn't know you can relocate the tranny fluid like you can with oil.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

lol.. they need it for sure... everytime i open the hood even after a short run in that truck its like a sauna in there..

if i remember the service interval right they recommend the internal trans filter to be changed once every 100K miles.. the external inline one was every every 30K miles.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I think its great idea, but i think its a good idea to have a temp gauge in case it plugs up. So you dont burn it up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
lol.. they need it for sure... everytime i open the hood even after a short run in that truck its like a sauna in there..

if i remember the service interval right they recommend the internal trans filter to be changed once every 100K miles.. the external inline one was every every 30K miles.

Yeah...the cooler is as big if not bigger than most aftermarket coolers I've found. Especially considering you can snag one from a JY for $10 vs $100+ for some of the bigger aftermarket units...it's a no brainer.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
im sure you probably will.. but make sure you blow out the cooler before hooking it to yours to get all the oil and any crud out that may have been deposited by the donor vehicle you pull it from..

anytime i pull something like that from a JY vehicle i blow em out real good and run some brake parts cleaner or just straight parts cleaner through it just to break up and clean out those deposits... always interesting to see the clumps of deposits that come out of them sometimes..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Usually blow it out, then manually pump the appropriate fresh fluid through it. Then hook it up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts