Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission flush question

Mark K. has posted on many forums that a heated flush machine is necessary to get a full flush due to the internal thermostat that would prevent the torque converter from getting fully flushed if the heated machine was not used.

Looking back, I had my transmission flushed at 30k miles (I am at 57k now) and I was not charged for 18 quarts of fluid. I only was charged for 16. From that, I assumed that the machine was not heated and called the dealership and verified that it was not (it was a Wynn's system). BTW - I am very happy with the work my dealership performs and I realize that the flush still gets more of the old fluid replaced than a simple pan drain.

However, I have since called about 20 local dealerships and none of them have a heated flush machine.

I was wondering if Ford has ever sent any communications to the dealerships similar to what Mark has said about needing to use a heated machine.

blacksnapon

Staff member
To my knowledge, we havent seen anything official as far as servicing "have tos". Its common knowledge however, that theres a thermostat in most cooling lines (rangers, explorers, f150s, expeditions too). Ours (BG) doesnt fare well with torqueshifts. A lot of them you can powerbrake to raise line temperatures, but the torqueshift will top out pressure gauges before the thermostat will open.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Why do I hear that flushing the trans can kill it dead but yet I hear its a important maintenance Umm I forgot the word.. Any ways you know what I mean????

blacksnapon

Staff member
Why do I hear that flushing the trans can kill it dead but yet I hear its a important maintenance Umm I forgot the word.. Any ways you know what I mean????
Yeah, I know very much so. Older, high mileage, poorly maintained vehicles, I will be hesitant doing a prescribed "flush procedure". Many dont take kindly to the flush chemicals. But if the trans has been regularly maintained, there shouldn't be a problem.

Vince! Shoot, at times I cant remember my own name either! (I think it was the 70's that did it!

Maybe that the 70's were almost 40 years ago? That is what my problem is!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts