Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmission cooler

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I may try it but wanted a little input first. My add on cooler in front of the radiator on my 73 started leaking , i think i pulled on one of the hoses to hard removing it . I really don't want to buy another one but i have a couple of condensers i was going to sell for scrap , so i thought i could use one .

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I don't see why not. They both serve the same purpose - exchange heat. As mentioned earlier, the connections may be different.

I never did like the coolers built in the radiator , to me you are just adding more heat to the radiator. The 73 radiator i have had a 360 with standard trany in it ,so no cooler in it. I put a smaller 302 in it with a c/4 and the radiator cools really good. So blocking a little air should not effect it at all. I will find out this week if i haven't damaged the condensers as i put them with my scrap metal to sell.

You all really think oil will flow through an A/C condensor efficiently enough to actually work? I think not and if you try it you'll regret it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You all really think oil will flow through an A/C condensor efficiently enough to actually work? I think not and if you try it you'll regret it.

Look at a large aftermarket transmission cooler...not much different.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Don't see why it wouldn't work. Make sure it's good and clean first though, ac systems get dirtier than you would think...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

An AC condensor is where refrigerant is converted from a gas to a liquid. I'm not understanding how you all think transmission fluid will flow through it efficiently enough to cool it. If anything, It seems as it would be restrictive, creating pressure which would lead to leaks elsewhere in the loop and more heat rather than cooling. And I have an after market transmission cooler and the fins are totally different. If the OP tries it, please give us some feedback and let me know if I'm FOS...

An AC condensor is where refrigerant is converted from a gas to a liquid. I'm not understanding how you all think transmission fluid will flow through it efficiently enough to cool it. If anything, It seems as it would be restrictive, creating pressure which would lead to leaks elsewhere in the loop and more heat rather than cooling. And I have an after market transmission cooler and the fins are totally different. If the OP tries it, please give us some feedback and let me know if I'm FOS...

I never took the time to try it after finding a used trany cooler for $20.00. A friend of mine had a B&M 70268 one that had been use very little. I checked that part number and they sell for around $65.00 more or less. It is a little bigger than the one i had ,so i'm good now with it. Thanks for the response from all that were interested. JIM--:wavey:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Indeed it is....as in a heat exchanger. If I recall, the diameter of a typical condenser is 3/8 which is what a normal cooler is. The pressure in the lines is minimal. The fins are different on your regular cooler as it is much cheaper to produce and doesn't need to do the job of an AC unit.

use a new one if your gonna do it if the a/c system wasnt taken care of properly it builds up acids in the system and that can be transfered to your fluid even when cleaned. a better option would be a evaparator out of a cooler thats new find a local appliance repair shop that may have some new old stock ones they would probably make you a good deal on one

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts