Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans problems...

Got my 400 put in and running, but now the transmission is screwed up. Every gear is like neutral, you can push it in every gear except park. I checked the linkage and shifted it by hand, it clicks in but it doesn't seem to change anything at all, the vaccum line looks fine and I tried hooking it up at another place but still nothing... I did change the torque convertor so I'm thinking maybe it is defective or something, I did add fluid. Any idea what could be going on?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is the TC properly seated??? And did you put enough fluid in for the trans and TC??? I wanna say something like 13.25 qts are required for both the trans and tc.

It should be properly seated, my friend put it in though... I added the fluid out of the old convertor and then added 1 quart of new. I can't tell how much is in it because half the dipstick is coated and i know it isn't that full, maybe I will just add more, what happens when you have too much in there?

Did you check the trans fluid while the truck was running and it show that high? If so its got too much fluid..
Yes, I didn't add much though, would that make it not do anything? It's not even trying, I guess I will just have it towed to a garage because I am tired of messing with it I worked on it all day for 5 days...

When adding Trans fluid you have to wait a while until all the tube fluid runs down to the measuring area.

Just be patient.
Did you go thru the gears and see of the trans fear lever is moving with the shift lever?
Did you go thru all the gears down below to see what happens?

You should have used NEW Fluid not fluid from the old TC.

When adding Trans fluid you have to wait a while until all the tube fluid runs down to the measuring area.

Just be patient.
Did you go thru the gears and see of the trans fear lever is moving with the shift lever?
Did you go thru all the gears down below to see what happens?

You should have used NEW Fluid not fluid from the old TC.

Yes, I did those things, I think the torque convertor must not be seated right or something, it does nothing at all when you shift it, even by hand. The transmission has only been in for a year or so I figured the fluid was like new.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If the torque converter was not seated when you bolted the block up, you broke the front pump.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I will agree that the converter was probably not installed properly. If the fluid level is high with the engine running odds are the pump is not pumping.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Sounds like the TQ Converter not seated. Usually if you have somewhat close to the right amount of fluid (which is sounds like you do) they will atleast do something. Ive had them slip, pop out, not shift , etc but never had one not engage due to lack of fluid.

Whatever it is though i wouldnt run it to long because you liable to do more damage

Yep, torque convertor was in wrong and it broke the pump and messed up the torque convertor so I had them put the old one back in. It's good to go now, but in the end it would've actually been cheaper to just have them put the motor in, plus I would've had the new convertor. So I wasted my time and ended up paying more.... But at least I learned a lot from it and I will no longer assume someone knows what they are doing when it comes to something as important as this. One of these days I will make a thread with pics of the motor swap and a video of it running, it sounds awesome!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That sucks...lesson learned though, you know what to look for from now on.

Fellro

Staff member
Kind of surprised the case didn't snap, been there... Learned from that one too. Fords can be a bit tricky to seat, due to the shape of the hub of the converter. A sure fire way to know it went in is if you can fit your fingers between the pump and torque converter. That is too much gap, you should not be able to fit between them if seated.

Ford Truck Articles