Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans prob

I have a 74 F250 with a T18 manual trans an I am going to have to rebuild it. I was wanting to know what other manual trans would bolt up to a FE 360 engine? I am looking at upgrading the trans to increase MPG.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm not sure exaclty if they're bolt up, but swapping in a T19 or NP435 are very popular swaps. As for increasing mpgs...you drive something with the aerodynamics of a brick...you're not gonna gain very much in the mpg department. If you're looking for bigger gains, swap in different gears, smaller engine or buy a car. But how long would it take you to offset those costs.

ok so the NP435 would bolt up just fine? Also I got the new clutch for the T18 so would it work with NP435 or would I need a different clutch? An were can I find a NP435 trans? would a clark 285V or clark 285VHD be good an would it bolt up with no prob & with the new clutch I have?

Last edited:
I am I am going to change the gears an looking at changing the 4 speed to a 5 speed manual but currently I am needing to know if a Clark 285V will bolt up to the engine with no prob & will the new clutch I got work with this trans?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
That clark still has a 1.00 ratio in fifth so ya wouldnt be gainin nothin. Id go with the 435. Your only other option would be to get an aftermarket overdrive and they want so much money for em they aint really worth it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I don't think you will gain much by changing the transmission, Gears would be a better option. These trucks aren't known for good gas mileage. Some claim to get good mileage for various reasons. I get around 10mpg with a 302 and a 3 speed. I'm not sure of my exact gear ratio though.

Ford Truck Articles