Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny Swap

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
I bought my '78 F150 4x4 with a C6 tranny behind a 351M, I hate autos with a passion. I gotta 83 F350 with a 4speed in it behind a bad 302 engine (yea i know the 83 1tons didn't come with a 302- this one's out of a thunderbird). I know that the bell housing is different on the smallblocks compared to the bigblocks, but how much of a pain is it to install the new clutch assembly, pedal, and linkages for the swap; and will the tranny from my 83 even work with my 79 (as far as bolting it up)?

You would need the 460 MT from an 83+ truck

Where are you at? I am going to be stripping off a 4spd bellhousing clutch assembly & flywheel from the motor for my bronco. (I hate sticks :D)
John

Possum

Georgia Chapter member

I'm workin' in Georgia right now, but I live in Mississippi. I'd be willin to take that bellhousing, clutch assembly & flywheel off your hands if you wanna get rid of it. What years your Bronco? I could probaly hook you up with some parts for it

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
Mil1ion -

Is the 4speeds that came in the 1tons any beefier than the 1/2ton, or are they the same?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts