Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny Swap questions.

So today I picked up this fine specimen of a 4 speed imposter. Don't worry, I meant to. I want the overdrive gear. I figured I wanted to keep the column shift 3 speed, but gain the overdrive. So my question is, what's it going to take to put this in my truck? I'm assuming it'll bolt to the bellhousing currently on the 3 speed right? And do I need to swap tailhousings? Or is this one the right one? Also I know I need to run a cable for the overdrive engagement.
qaba2use.jpg
ne2ugyzu.jpg

It's the d7dr-7006-a-a casting. I know it's not a super strong trans, but I don't intend to be cruel to it. Just want to cruise.
So what all needs to happen to get this thing in the truck?

Last edited:
Okay a couple more questions. So just a glance at my 3 speed currently installed, the tail shaft is way shorter than the one on the 4 speed. So I'm assuming my drive shaft will need to be shortened. It all looks like it'll bolt right up to the bellhouing though. What size is the input shaft on the RAB 3 speed behind my 302? And how many splines are on the output shaft?

As luck would have it, I managed to get ahold of a factory 3 speed with OD shifter.
a5a2aqab.jpg
sy4yzuge.jpg

All I need now before the install is the proper transmission tunnel panel. Anyone know where to get ahold of one?

Ford Truck Articles