Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny question?

Im prolly freakin out because its a O/D auto, but anyways...

My E4OD in my 97 shifts kinda hard (i think) from first to 2nd. Seems to be worse when its cold, and its done it since i bought it.

The only reason im concerned is because pulling my camper it shifts smooth as silk....

input?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
These E4OD transmissions really are very stout and long lasting, but they can be a little fickle with the electronics that input the data to the transmission.

Firstly (and I know you already know this), make sure your fluid is still red and doesn't smell burnt. If you've serviced this recently, then forget about it.

There are 4 primary sensors that input data into the E4OD.

1. Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
2. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
3. Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM)
4. MLPS (also called neutral safety switch even though that name is incorrect.) I've also seen it called "Range Sensor."

What I'd suggest is to pull codes and see if your computer is noticing that any of these devices is out of range. If there are no codes, it's mostly likely the MLPS on the driver side of the transmission.

Let us know what your computer says.

Ryan

Ok i will do that, i checked the fluid already and its nice and red and smells good...ill get codes and let ya know.

thanks

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts