Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tonneau cover

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
ordered the extang trifecta folding cover. I'll let you guys know how I like it when it comes in.

Please do...

I'll be ordering a tonneau within a few weeks, and I'm really on the fence between the roll-up and tri-fold styles.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
got it the other day and put it on today. So far I like it. It took longer to take the old top off than it did to put the new one on. 2 claps hold it on the front and they are a t-style plastic nut that screws the clamp onto the bottom of the rail. 2 in the back are spring loaded that you pull down onto the rail. It's all one piece and the cover doesn't come off the rail at all. Seems to have pretty good seals all around so it will probably keep most of the water out when it rains. Folds up real easy and has 2 snap/buckles that hold it in the open position. The 2 back clamps fold into the bows when it open so the don't flop around and tear up the cover and the front 2 also fold up for storing the whole unit.

I would probably feel better if it had 2 more clamps but that would also make it a little harder to fold up. Unlike a roll-up that rolls up with total access to the bed the this folding one still hangs out maybe a foot when folded but with only 2 clamps in the front total removal doesn't seem to take any longer than having to roll up a regular cover and remove all the bows.

It's only one day but so far I like it. Didn't take any pics so sorry about that.

One more good thing is since it's all one piece you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to stick the 2-3 bows or the rear rail when you have the cover open like on the roll-ups.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward the tri-fold style...and I'll probably be ordering one within a week or so.

Unlike a roll-up that rolls up with total access to the bed the this folding one still hangs out maybe a foot when folded

Do the clamps/straps that hold it open seem secure enough that it would be OK to fold it up and drive a long way? Or would you want to have it either all the way on or all the way off for a long trip?

And, I know this may vary by with the different trucks, but where does it sit relative to the stake pockets? Fully cover them? Leave them fully exposed so you could have tie-down loops and the tonneau at the same time? Or halfway cover the holes?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward the tri-fold style...and I'll probably be ordering one within a week or so.

Do the clamps/straps that hold it open seem secure enough that it would be OK to fold it up and drive a long way? Or would you want to have it either all the way on or all the way off for a long trip? I drove with it open today for a bit and it didn't seem to flop around or anyting.

And, I know this may vary by with the different trucks, but where does it sit relative to the stake pockets? Fully cover them? Leave them fully exposed so you could have tie-down loops and the tonneau at the same time? Or halfway cover the holes?Covers them on mine.

Here is a link to the one I got: http://www.extang.com/docs/trifecta.html
there are a few pics there.

I'm gonna plug autoanything (we get a kick back if you buy through a link on FTF). I didn't look around real hard but the few sites I did check auto anything was the cheapest. Free shipping and I also got a free tailgate seal but I'm not sure if I'll use it or not. I ordered it last weekend and had it by Friday.

Let me know if you need any other info.

L-N-S

Layd-n-shaved
Im loving it so far, just need to fet that little hole fixed

Photo0102.jpg

Photo0101.jpg

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I only briefly looked at it (and I was trying to look at everything when I was looking the truck over) but if memory serves it stuck out over the bed by maybe 8-9 inches. It didn't take up any space at the bottom (where lumber or drywall would sit) so I think that's good.

Of course the big variable here is that we're relying on my memory.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts