Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Timing Chain Replacement (56k Beware)

Great friggin job Ben. Excellent write up...I though hope I do not have to do any more car work for awhile.....Replacing rear engine seals and a transmission is enough for awhile!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I now the feeling.. :(

Yeah, and I just looked ,it's leaking trans fluid up front. So I think either a line is cracked or the cooler itself is on its way out. 330,000 miles I wouldnt be surprised.

rambler

New Shoes......
great write up. I've never done a timing chain before, but pretty much everything else... great pictures. I never get around to taking pics when I 'm working on my rigs.. I need to start doing that, especially when I forget how everything gets put back together.

more rep points for ya!

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Nice write up Ben.

Some may see this as just another "How To" thread but I see it as a way to help make this site great. Man we have a lot of great, knowledgable folks here at FTF and this is just another example of that.

Thanks again Ben.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I feel like I should rep this write up........

Thanks Tex...I appreciate it. You need to do an update on your HiPo LED swap so we all can see how it's holding up.

You should. I did

Thanks Charles.

great write up. I've never done a timing chain before, but pretty much everything else... great pictures. I never get around to taking pics when I 'm working on my rigs.. I need to start doing that, especially when I forget how everything gets put back together.

more rep points for ya!

Well if you can do 'everything else' a timing chain should be easy. And for the record pics definitely help in confusing areas, I wouldn't have taken as many if you guys didn't say you wanted a write up. But once I learned to put my pride away, the struggle of trying to figure out how things went back together drastically cut down on the labor time.

I'd take more pics too but I dont want grease all over my shiny new camera!

Very true...the first few pics covered my relatively new camera in grease, but I wiped it off immediately. Then I just learned to snap pics with the camera covered in a clean rag.

Nice write up Ben.

Some may see this as just another "How To" thread but I see it as a way to help make this site great. Man we have a lot of great, knowledgable folks here at FTF and this is just another example of that.

Thanks again Ben.

Thanks Aaron...it feels good knowing this thread should be able to help people, and knowing that there are folks out there that really do appreciate it.

***If anyone still has any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer to the best of my ability...and if anyone still wants more pics I have about 20-25 more basically of the same things...just from different angles.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thanks Tex...I appreciate it. You need to do an update on your HiPo LED swap so we all can see how it's holding up.

Your welcome Ben! Its great to have you around again, I was getting bored with all these old fuds.smilietease
The Hi po is holding up awesome.. :)
Oh and you wont guess what kinda Rims i'm buying :rolleyes:

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Now it's time to do yours, isn't it???????? Hope this helped.

It would be, if my 351M in my '77 F-250 hadn't broken a connecting rod back in November. :headbang:

That's ok though, I'm sure I'll probably have to replace the timing chain in the used 400M that I am getting for it.
As the engine is coming out of a '77 Lincoln Continental, that only has 83,000 original miles on it.

It had been sitting for 22 years, before a friend of mine acquired it from an elderly lady. (the car's original owner)

He pulled the spark plugs and put some Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders before he even attempted to start it, let it sit for 2 days, then changed the oil and all other fluids.

After draining and flushing the gas tank and putting fresh fuel in it, he put a good battery in the car to see if it would start.

The engine only turned over 5 times before it started!

Now I just have to come up with the money to get the engine, as he has had no interest in the car.

(Sorry about hi-jacking your thread Ben!)

Dang that thing was a grease pit! I'd have taken about three cans of carb cleaner and washed that beast off. Of course I'd have also ratteled canned it to make it look better to, but thats me. I just know all that shiny paint gives me a solid 10hp and 15lb-ft :D

Glad to hear its runnnin again!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Dang that thing was a grease pit! I'd have taken about three cans of carb cleaner and washed that beast off. Of course I'd have also ratteled canned it to make it look better to, but thats me. I just know all that shiny paint gives me a solid 10hp and 15lb-ft :D

Glad to hear its runnnin again!

Yo!, Efan yo, Efan. 60+ Hp and 100+ ft-lbs.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Great write-up Ben.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts