Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time for a new tow rig..

Well it's time for me to find a truck that i can haul my recently acquired 26' car hauler.

So..A few choices i have pondered. With a few rules.

-It has to be a 87-97.

-Obviously be able to handle the weight, which my guesstimate on the trailer weight would be about 10-11,000 pounds and maybe 1000 pounds of spare parts/tools/equipment needed for the track in the bed of the truck.

-4 Door crew cab is a must.

Im guessing a dually is probably the best choice, but a Crew cab longbed with single rear wheels could maybe fit the build??

Is there anywhere i can find the GVW ratings for these trucks online? My chiltons manual doesnt seem to have them listed, unless im not seeing it. I can't imagine an F350 Dually with a 7.3 idi or powerstroke would have any problems..but i'd like to see if there are other options that could handle the load. ie: f250/351/etc. etc.

Anyways, feel free to comment. I have till spring to find something anyways, so im not in a hurry.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I agree with Aaron there. I've towed that much with my F250 351. It did it, but it wasn't happy about it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with these guys too...I'd try to focus on at least the 460...but probably the 7.3. If you go the auto tranny route I'd adivse going with a ride early enough to have a C6 or get a 94 or later E4OD.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm thinkin better mpg w/ the diesel.. Over the 460. jmo

100% true and the diesel will have gobs more torque...I was just saying the 460 would be a minimum requirement for what he wants.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
70torino429,

Well to be legal you will need an F450 if you plan on sticking to that year of trucks. The GCWR for the F350 SRW & DRW was 20,000 lbs for the model year trucks you are looking at with a 7.3 PSD. Since you have already stated that your trailer will weigh 11-12k the truck will scale over 8k putting you over legal GCWR. The sticker rating is what state agencies look at to determine legal weight rating. Now you must also know your state laws since in some states it is legal to pay the commercial weight registration fee for whatever weight you wish to tow legally (ie you could get a registration weight rating from your state of 23k and thus be legal). Also you need to check out the max GVWR & GAWR as you can easily exceed this as well especially with a gooseneck/5th-wheel trailer.

Pulling the load is the easy part, Stopping is the difficult part. A DRW with a heavy load will be much more stable and comfortable to pull with. Upgrading the suspension & brakes does Not change the legal GCWR. The states are really starting to crack down on overweight vehicles so research your state laws to find out if you can register your truck legally for a higher GCWR.

Starting with the 2005 F350 PSD you could get a 23k GCWR SRW and 26k GCWR DRW with a 5.4 in this truck the GCWR drops to 15-16k.

Here is the link to the specs for MY 2000
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2000/BBFSD00A.PDF
www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2000/BBCAMPER.PDF

The specs for the 2000 MY will be close to the 97 MY

Here is the link to the FMC towing guide for MY 2002.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2002/2002_default.asp

Thanks for the help so far guys. That cleared a few things up.

And i feel stupid for guessing on the weight of the trailer...

The trailer is at 10,000 GVW. although i guess i wasnt to far off. So basically, the truck would be over 8k your saying, i would probably be very close to the legal limit?

Interesting info blackhat, i appreciate it. I'll have to look at some particular laws, as it will be traveling as far north as new hampshire, south as far as florida and west as far as michigan.

Ah well, you guys gave me some ideas to start looking into. Thanks.

That would work but I think he wants somethin a little more practical.

Yeah, i mean...anything over 26,000 pounds and then i need to go for a CDL, keep records and a logbook of everywhere i go, what i do, how long im on the road, and stop at weigh stations, which is more hassle than id rather be involved with for what im trying to accomplish, which is just to get a race car from track to track.

Long as i can keep the combined load under 26k pounds, im up for any suggestions.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thanks for the help so far guys. That cleared a few things up.

And i feel stupid for guessing on the weight of the trailer...

The trailer is at 10,000 GVW. although i guess i wasnt to far off. So basically, the truck would be over 8k your saying, i would probably be very close to the legal limit?

Interesting info blackhat, i appreciate it. I'll have to look at some particular laws, as it will be traveling as far north as new hampshire, south as far as florida and west as far as michigan.

Ah well, you guys gave me some ideas to start looking into. Thanks.

If you are Not towing for "Hire" then you only have to meet your resident state requirements. When you travel to other states you are legal as long as you meet your resident state requirements. Now if you tow for "Hire" then you must meet federal interstate commerce rules. What state do you live in?

Since you already have the trailer, take it to your local CAT scale (ie most truck stops) and weigh the trailer empty. Next load your trailer with your usual load and go back and weigh it again. This will give you your actual weights. The useable load capacity of your trailer will be its GVW (10k) minus the empty trailer weight. Once you know your trailer and load weight you can then better determine what size tow vehicle you need. If your trailer & load are 10k and your tow vehicle weighs 8k with a 20k GCWR you will probably be safe (you still need to look at GAWR & GVWR of the tow vehicle however).

How much does your race car weigh?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Great post by blackhat, but I want to add one thing. You probably want to figure in a little extra for stuff you may take along just in case. Tools, spare parts, coolers, all the little things can add up.

I took a look at all the extra crap I take when I go wheeling and camping and it easily hits 1000 lbs. (generator, tools, spare parts, coolers...)

Ah, some more good info.

I live in Massachusetts.

How much does your race car weigh?

3200 without me in it.

Other things in the trailer would include...
(3) 55 gallon drums of 116 octane.
(2) extra rear tires mounted on rims.
My standup toolbox full of tools.. i would guess around 500ish pounds.

Generator, battery charger, couple extension cords, cooler etc. <--although these things could probably go in the truck.

Other than that, not a whole lot else in the trailer, other random spare parts would be in the bed of the truck. Im sure im forgetting some things at the moment cause its late, but thats a rough idea. I try to only bring the stuff i need, so i pack kind of light. Compared to some racers who like to bring their whole damn living room with them...LOL.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
.... for what im trying to accomplish, which is just to get a race car from track to track....

I am guessing from reading your posts and your user name that your race car is your 1970 Torino Cobra and that your trailer is a 26 foot enclosed car hauler TT. Something like this.

1970_Torino_Cobra.jpg

Shadow.jpg

If this is your setup then the car should weigh no more than 4k and the trailer should be no more than 4k empty. If this is true then an F350 PSD DRW with a GCWR of 20k a good Class V receiver hitch with a load equilizer hitch and you should be good to go. Loaded you should scale around 19K complete ready to roll, but weigh it at your local CAT scale to be sure.

These are the best WD hitches on the market IMO
www.equalizerhitch.com/

Find local CAT scales here
http://catscale.findlocation.com/

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ah, some more good info.

I live in Massachusetts.

3200 without me in it.

Other things in the trailer would include...
(3) 55 gallon drums of 116 octane.
(2) extra rear tires mounted on rims.
My standup toolbox full of tools.. i would guess around 500ish pounds.

Generator, battery charger, couple extension cords, cooler etc. <--although these things could probably go in the truck.

Other than that, not a whole lot else in the trailer, other random spare parts would be in the bed of the truck. Im sure im forgetting some things at the moment cause its late, but thats a rough idea. I try to only bring the stuff i need, so i pack kind of light. Compared to some racers who like to bring their whole damn living room with them...LOL.

Okay car and traliler only 7200Lb plus approximately 2k of misc supplies (ie fuel = 1100, wheels = 100, tool box = 500). So still a gross GCW of 19-19.2k. It will be at the upper limit of the GCWR of an F350 but you should still be okay, i do not like to personally exceed 85-90% of the GCWR but the above load will be at 95% of GCWR and as long as you do not try and race up & down hills you should be good to go.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts