Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tie Rod End

Michigan
Howdy.

Well i had complained a couple of weeks ago about my fiasko with my PS outer tie rod end..

Well i had the truck on the lift swaping out some stuff and i noticed that same tie rod end was loose. Well my mechanic was helping me with the tires and i called him over. He said it seams my spindal is wore. Then he started looking deeper into it and he was able to back the nut off by hand. I tightened it with air! So he tightened it down and the hole for the cotter pin is way above the castle nut. Now what?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Get a bigger tie rod end. Oh ughhh. You sure its the right one?

Michigan
Yea positive. Same size everything from the one i took off my truck to replace. Any way i can space it out? Or use a lock washer and loc tite to keep it from backing off.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
What's with the "Howdy"? Are you a wannabe Texan?

Try a Motorcraft tie rod end. I bought a MOOG draglink once,
and took it back for that reason.
It pulled up too far when I torqued it. Hope that helps.

Michigan
What's with the "Howdy"? Are you a wannabe Texan?

Whats up with that?

Il run to the ford dealership tomorrow

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Whats up with that?

Howdy is the official Texas welcome. Big Tex at the state fair welcomes everyone with "Howdy Folks"

We like got a patent on it.

Michigan
Oooo... Sorry bout that partner.

Thanks for the hijack..

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Oooo... Sorry bout that partner.

Thanks for the hijack..

Dang there you go again with that "partner"stuff.

No problem I'll return you to Tie Rod Ends

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Mike, what piece of the thing is worn down so much to create that difference? Got a picture?

Ryan

Michigan
Mike, what piece of the thing is worn down so much to create that difference? Got a picture?

Ryan

AAA Not sure anything is wore down. We took the tie rod end back off and looked at the hole that the rod end goes into the spindle and it looked fine..

The problem is, i have to tighten it so much so it doesnt move, and when its that tight the hole for the cotter pin is way above the castle nut. So therefore the cotter pin aint doing jack crap to hold that nut from coming undone, and obviously over time the nut works its way loose.

Il get a picture, ive got so much going on, and working so many hours at work when i get done with work its dark out. Ive been meaning to take pictures of my new stuff.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The problem is, i have to tighten it so much so it doesnt move, and when its that tight the hole for the cotter pin is way above the castle nut. So therefore the cotter pin aint doing jack crap to hold that nut from coming undone, and obviously over time the nut works its way loose.

Put a washer under the nut....

(Not sure this is a great idea, given the application. But if everything else really is "good" I also can't see why it's not a good idea. [confused]

Michigan
Thats what i was thinking.. Il look tomorrow and see how far up the hole is. I cant recall at the moment

Michigan
............. or maybe drill a new hole for the cotter pin, lower on the threads.

EEEE i already suggested that to my mechanic. He said he wouldnt recommend that due to loosing the structural integrity.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If you did it right, it wouldn't have any impact on the strength where it matters. But a washer would be easier...

My only real concern with mickey-mousing it, is that you need to make damn sure before you do, that the tie-rod end is seated firmly and securely in the spindle. If it's just that the hole for the cotter pin is in the wrong spot, fix it the easy way...but if something's badly worn or never fit right, you probably should fix it by replacing that part. IMO.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts