Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tie Rod End Help

3/4 Ton Joe

1st time ford
I am replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends. My truck is a ford 3/4 ton
4x4. I replaced the inners with no problems. Onto the outers. Get them put on and am tightning the nut down on the end of the tie rod that goes to the frame. The nut goes way down onto the threads and is down far enough that the little slots in the nut will no touch the cotter pin when I put that back on. Is this good bad our ugly. I ask the guy at the part store and he cannot find another tie rod end to match the one I have taken off.

Thanks in advance
Joe

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was always under the assumption that the cotter pin was simply in place to make sure the nut didn't completely come off...it wasn't meant to be a locking mechanism for the castle nut. I say you're fine.

I was always under the assumption that the cotter pin was simply in place
to make sure the nut didn't completely come off...it wasn't meant to be a
locking mechanism for the castle nut. I say you're fine.
I've seen that practice when the bolt was too long but that's not typical
for automotive stuff, the parts are usually more carefully made/fitted than
that. Seen it on the railroad -a-lot- tho. LOL :)

Has your truck been modified much, like a lift or anything?
There's a tie-rod-end-flip thing that the lifters do where they
ream the holes out in the knuckle arms.

What's different about the ones you took off and your new ones?
Did you look? Too late to look at 'em side by side?

Alvin in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^With build quality, tolerances and specifications (or lack thereof across the board), plus any bit of overtorquing, or an expanded old nut on a new part, I wouldn't imagine going an extra few threads would be that difficult and result in the cotter pin being a bit more exposed.

I ask the guy at the part store and he cannot find another tie rod end to
match the one I have taken off.
Joe
I'm just now understanding that, I'm kinda slow that way. :)

Gotta say it...
"welcome to the Ford parts world! :)"

"Ford never learned how to make the same part twice ;)" -my Chevy buddies

Besides Ford swapping things a lot the sellers hadn't bother to sort it all out.

You need another parts guy and/or parts store.

Alvin in AZ

3/4 Ton Joe

1st time ford
Just got the the new ends from another parts store and everything measured up the same. Still having the same problem. Ill just run them down tight and see how they look. The left side looks fine but the right side on the other hand got tight and went to tighten it a little bit more and the crown nut and the bolt all turn together. Now what do I do????

Thanks guys this helps me out ALOT

Just got the the new ends from another parts store and everything measured
up the same. Still having the same problem. Ill just run them down tight and
see how they look. The left side looks fine but the right side on the other hand
got tight and went to tighten it a little bit more and the crown nut and the bolt
all turn together. Now what do I do????
Thanks guys this helps me out ALOT
LOL :)

What do you mean by that? :)

If they look the same then they are the same.

Clean 'em up and take the originals with you so when they do accident'ly stumble
across the right ones, at least you'll know it.

Alvin in AZ
ps-
"taking the old part with you is worth ten thousand trips" -diesel truck parts-chaser

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I think you're looking for the "caps" that go on the nuts that have the "castellations" on them.
I've never seen what you are referring to as a "cap" installed over the castle nuts on tie rod ends.

If you take the front grease cap off...you will see a cotter key, then the locknut retainer, then the castle nut.

Never seen a locknut retainer installed anywhere else. I'd list the basic Ford part number for the little charmer, but there isn't one.

This is a standard aka 'hardware' part, there are dozens of different types. The part number is just that, composed of mostly numbers with one letter at the front or rear.

The ball studs of tie rods, tie rod ends, draglinks have a hole for the cotter key to pass thru. The castle nut is tightened, then the key inserted.

OEM tie rod ends are prolly different than the Made in China crap sold by most autoparts stores. Prolly why the castle nut cannot be tightened sufficently to insert the cotter key.

You get what you pay for...buy the best and cry only once.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've never seen what you are referring to as a "cap" installed over the castle nuts on tie rod ends.

If you take the front grease cap off...you will see a cotter key, then the locknut retainer, then the castle nut.

Never seen a locknut retainer installed anywhere else. I'd list the basic Ford part number for the little charmer, but there isn't one.

This is a standard aka 'hardware' part, there are dozens of different types. The part number is just that, composed of mostly numbers with one letter at the front or rear.

The ball studs of tie rods, tie rod ends, draglinks have a hole for the cotter key to pass thru. The castle nut is tightened, then the key inserted.

OEM tie rod ends are prolly different than the Made in China crap sold by most autoparts stores. Prolly why the castle nut cannot be tightened sufficently to insert the cotter key.

You get what you pay for...buy the best and cry only once.
Thats it, I just couldn't remember the name of it. With it, the cotter key goes in higher than the castle nut.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts