Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thoughts on Lincoln Mark VII/VIII's

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Everytime I read a description of the 97-98 hood, I feel dirty, because it's described as a 'power dome' hood.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Don't even think about it. They're cheap- and the air suspension is the biggest reason why. It goes south, the car goes down on itself and leaves you with a bill that could easily run into the thousands. Love the cars, but wouldn't touch one with your 10 ft. pole. Ditto Continentals (one of the least reliable cars sold in the US), Navigators, and Expeditions with the optional 4-wheel air suspension.

The optional rear level-ride in some Marquis and Crown Vics can be trouble as well, but seems to be infinitely more reliable.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Coil over conversions are the standard fix for the air suspension woes. all four corners can be done for under 500 if I remember right. I would have kept mine if it hadn't been for my want of something old without a computer in it. That car was so much fun. I had it chipped with straight pipes. it wasn't too loud, but sounded oh so mean...

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Don't even think about it. They're cheap- and the air suspension is the biggest reason why. It goes south, the car goes down on itself and leaves you with a bill that could easily run into the thousands. Love the cars, but wouldn't touch one with your 10 ft. pole. Ditto Continentals (one of the least reliable cars sold in the US), Navigators, and Expeditions with the optional 4-wheel air suspension.

The optional rear level-ride in some Marquis and Crown Vics can be trouble as well, but seems to be infinitely more reliable.

You have a very good point Ernie, don't forget F-150's had some sort of air suspension option, at least I seen that in the owners manual etc.

I'd touch a Mark 8 for one reason, hijack the engine, and be on my way :wasntme: But that aside, the air suspension leaves you :hammer: :headbang:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I have dealt with air suspension personally, and its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I would dare venture a guess that 95% of the people bashing it have had no personal experience. That's all I will say about it.

Oh yeah, and they had the "Cobra" motor before the mustang Cobra had it...

Oh, and that air ride... amazing! (even at 145 mph)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I have dealt with air suspension personally, and its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I would dare venture a guess that 95% of the people bashing it have had no personal experience. That's all I will say about it.

Oh yeah, and they had the "Cobra" motor before the mustang Cobra had it...

Oh, and that air ride... amazing! (even at 145 mph)

Correct on all counts actually. Most peeps just don't have the expertise or experience to deal with the suspension. Back in my dealership days, we'd wholesale any of the cars I listed unless they were in warranty without thinking twice. A Used Car Department is still just a paying customer in the shop. Pay one $3500 bill for a Town Car's Air Suspension and you're cured forever.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

But if it's already had the spring work done, then would you give it the green light?

Coil over conversions are the standard fix for the air suspension woes. all four corners can be done for under 500 if I remember right. I would have kept mine if it hadn't been for my want of something old without a computer in it. That car was so much fun. I had it chipped with straight pipes. it wasn't too loud, but sounded oh so mean...

Hmmm...doesn't sound bad, so it's not just a matter of robbing springs from another vehicle? Happen to have any info, reads, the popular parts place?

If I was do drive a Mark, it would have to be a V or VI

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/2081177025.html

Trust me, I would too. I'm just trying to get out of the 10mpg market for DD use, and I also wouldn't mind some luxury.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yep, thats the site to go to, also lincoln vs cadillac .com

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts