Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thoughts on Lincoln Mark VII/VIII's

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always liked these cars. But I've never had any experience with them, so I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions on them before I start lookingat these instead of a CV. IIRC, the Mark VII's were based off the fox platform, correct? But I'm also reading that the interior was pretty dated, especially for a lincoln...although very solid. The MarkVIII's sound like the interiors had some interior quality with knobs and handles, from what I'm reading anyway. Also, IIRC, the Mark VIII's got a 40-50hp jump over the Mark VII's, while still enabling 18-20mpg's city and 25-28mpg's hwy (those numbers seem a tad bit high to me).

Then that brings me to...what about the LSC's? Did the demographic that bought these cars hot rod them up? I typically try to stay away from factory 'hot rods'...but this was still a Lincoln.

All that said, do you guys have a body style preference, a year preference, things to look for, things to look out for? What was the demographic these cars were marketed to and bought buy? Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The 97-98 Mark VIII's are sexy. The earlier ones are decent looking, so I'd drive any of them. They're dang near 300 horsepower stock. I was actually sniffing around recently looking at them considering the purchase. 5 grand will get you a NICE car and a lot of the ones around here are 100,000 miles and less.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That's what I'm seeing, as you pointed out, the 97-98's seem to be more refined, but also seem to bring a higher price tag. The other years within that body style, seem to be right in my price range and what I'm looking for, 80-125k on the odo and right around the $3k threshhold. If there are no major pitfalls with this car, I may adjust my focus. To my understanding, the Mark VIII's were on the same platform as the Tbirds...and I had a tbird, and it outperformed any expectations I had, considering it was $600 car.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Chipped, it would do 150 and feel like you are driving 75.

S1052227.jpg

S1052230.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
The interior is pretty dated on the VII, but I think that it has better lines than the VIII.

Mark%20VII%20SVO%201-2-3s.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Chipped, it would do 150 and feel like you are driving 75.

S1052227.jpg

S1052230.jpg

Any particular major problems I need to look/check for? IE common big money repairs on these cars?

Mark VIII are really nice Ben you can't go wrong.

Thanks Cliff...now you need to surf CL for me and post any you can find around $3000ish.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
The benefit of the Mark VIII's is that they have the 4.6 with B-Heads (2 intake ports per cylinder) and is the Teksid block, which is considered the strongest aluminum factory block available, and well, the B-heads are great for flow, and usually applicable in the boost scenarios. I'd suggest looking over the car, suspension, listen to the engine while it's running, the basics really. Never hurts to take a second set of eyes to spy out things you wouldn't notice. Just thought I'd chip in on the engine in the Mark VIII's. Also have a thread on the exact specifics of the head.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
any repairs on air suspension is always expensive. look at that part carefully.

Beyond listening for leaking air, what is there to look for? This whole, non-leaf spring concept baffles me.

The benefit of the Mark VIII's is that they have the 4.6 with B-Heads (2 intake ports per cylinder) and is the Teksid block, which is considered the strongest aluminum factory block available, and well, the B-heads are great for flow, and usually applicable in the boost scenarios. I'd suggest looking over the car, suspension, listen to the engine while it's running, the basics really. Never hurts to take a second set of eyes to spy out things you wouldn't notice. Just thought I'd chip in on the engine in the Mark VIII's. Also have a thread on the exact specifics of the head.

Thanks for the info bud.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Question...after doing some digging and looking at classifieds, it seems this air suspension is a little more problematic than I thought. Not a deterrent though. That said, I've seen alot of guys say they just go to springs. Anyone know what kinda springs they use? Take em from a tbird or something?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Question...after doing some digging and looking at classifieds, it seems this air suspension is a little more problematic than I thought. Not a deterrent though. That said, I've seen alot of guys say they just go to springs. Anyone know what kinda springs they use? Take em from a tbird or something?

I'm not sure what we used, but it can be done. The air suspension on the Grand Marquis was changed over not too long ago to springs. I'll see if I can find anything out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Austin...I'd appreciate that. Just trying to figure out what I'll need to rob the springs from. And what exactly happens when the air ride fails? Does the entire system go, or just the bag, is it sudden or gradual? How long do you have to make the fix?

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Beyond listening for leaking air, what is there to look for? This whole, non-leaf spring concept baffles me.

Thanks for the info bud.

Your welcome on the info bro, try to help out. It's a good engine, and I don't believe the DOHC's have the problems that some of the SOHC's have. Also depends on what you plan on doing, but always a good engine candidate for boost. Believe it's a 6 bolt main block smilietease , but if you go boost, the rods n pistons definitely need upgraded, and a cobra crank (factory forged) doesn't hurt..... :wasntme:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Your welcome on the info bro, try to help out. It's a good engine, and I don't believe the DOHC's have the problems that some of the SOHC's have. Also depends on what you plan on doing, but always a good engine candidate for boost. Believe it's a 6 bolt main block smilietease , but if you go boost, the rods n pistons definitely need upgraded, and a cobra crank (factory forged) doesn't hurt..... :wasntme:

Oh geez...you're just trying to get me in trouble...hahaha. 300hp out of a luxury coupe that I plan on dding is enough for me for now.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Oh geez...you're just trying to get me in trouble...hahaha. 300hp out of a luxury coupe that I plan on dding is enough for me for now.

I would do no such thing.....haha, ok maybe i would get ya in trouble...

It's always a good platform for the future when you consider a rebuild if you keep it that long. 300hp is a good number out of a coupe, and plenty for a daily driver. Too bad the 5.4's never had B-heads :wasntme: If so, i'd be building up a twin turbo set up right now :wasntme:

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts