Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

This guy got the ebay shaft

SC
The tag on the firewall is called the Buck Tag. Ive seen them on about 75% of the trucks Ive had (probably 20 trucks total). It shows codes for paint codes and options but not the vin. They are bolted on after the primer but before the final top coat so its very common when you unscrew it for there to be black primer underneath They are also not exclusively found on Camper Specials.

Ive never seen actual production numbers for the F350 4wds, Snowfighters and the F250s that came with D60 fronts that were not Snowfighters. I am always wary of anyone claiming to have an F350 4wd. Ive seen very few legitimate ones in person. To the day I die I will still fight the notion that all 79 F350s came with D60 fronts. The 60 was based on gvwr and it was possible to order an F250 with a higher gvwr than a F350. I know of one 79 F350 sitting just outside Maggie Valley NC that the old guy who bought the truck new claims the D44HD is the original axle and I believe him. F36 vin code.

Well I can tell ya I'm not faking one.NH doesn't issue titles on trk this old ,but I kept the MA one when I bought it.It's not only a "real" 350 SC It's also a Lariat.I bet they didn't make many in that combination.Not to mention.How many are still on the road driving :)
s48chl.jpg

Last edited:
Ranger429, just checked my '78 F150 4x4 parts truck for the firewall tag. It is there (with the VIN stamped in it) and it matches the VIN tag on the door. ;)
I'm not sure about my 78 F250 Crewcab. It had been repainted before I got it and don't recall seeing the tag on the firewall. However, there was a tag in the glovebox when I bought the truck - can't remember what it was. I need to find it.

Pics of the tag on the 150 johaner? I'd like to see it. As I said before I've owned and stripped quite a few of these and have only seen maybe 2 of the buck tags on the cowl. I have found a buck tag on the front lower passenger side of the bed. I don't know if it was a standard thing to do on all trucks or not.

Ive never seen actual production numbers for the F350 4wds, Snowfighters and the F250s that came with D60 fronts that were not Snowfighters. I am always wary of anyone claiming to have an F350 4wd. Ive seen very few legitimate ones in person. To the day I die I will still fight the notion that all 79 F350s came with D60 fronts. The 60 was based on gvwr and it was possible to order an F250 with a higher gvwr than a F350. I know of one 79 F350 sitting just outside Maggie Valley NC that the old guy who bought the truck new claims the D44HD is the original axle and I believe him. F36 vin code.

I'm not going to argue the 44 up front in a 350 with you but I won't ever believe a 350 came with a 44. My 250 is an original Sno-Fighter truck and it does have the 60. I have owned and sold a true 79 F-350 4x4 supercab. I would of kept it but it was a little to rough for me. I'm glad I sold it now because it opened the door up for me to pick up the crewcab.

SC
Fine with me.

Do you agree you could buy a F250 with a D44hd that has a higher GVWR than a F350? and the ONLY difference other than the VIN code between F250s and 350s is the leaf springs used?

Do you know its a legit sno-fighter and not a 250 that came with a 60F?

Well I can tell ya I'm not faking one.NH doesn't issue titles on trk this old ,but I kept the MA one when I bought it.It's not only a "real" 350 SC It's also a Lariat.I bet they didn't make many in that combination.Not to mention.How many are still on the road driving :)
s48chl.jpg

That's cool, my title only showed 'Truck' for the model name. It didn't say F-100 or Ranger or nothing.

SC
Mine has the VIN on the buck tag and it matches the door.

I couldnt remember if they had the vin or not so I got my crippled @ss off the couch an went to look at the two on my trucks. Neither had the vin. Maybe it depended on build plant or production date?

Lets say it like this...not ALL had the vin.

I'm sure everybody has heard jokes on how gossip changes every time it's told.
I imagine back in the day ford instructions to factories might have been relaid the same way.
just a guess

Fine with me.

Do you agree you could buy a F250 with a D44hd that has a higher GVWR than a F350? and the ONLY difference other than the VIN code between F250s and 350s is the leaf springs used?

Do you know its a legit sno-fighter and not a 250 that came with a 60F?

No I won't agree with that at all. I have no idea what the break point was on a 250 to get the D60. I have never seen a build sheet from Ford that said a certain GVW got a certain axle. Of all the books I have seen none of them show a 44 for a 79 350.

I sent off to Ford and got the research sheet for my 250 and the Bronco. It stated in there that the 250 was indeed a Sno-Fighter.

Of the buck tags I have seen both had the VIN# listed on them. I couldn't find a close up but here is a pic of the tag and the VIN# on the frame rail.

dsc02352.jpg

dsc02375.jpg

Bicyclemonkey that is the 1st I have ever seen a buck tag mounted there. Thanks for the pic.

The one 350 I have has a d60 and a frt gvw of 3900.I have other sno fighters all w/ 60's and they all have higher frt gvw's then the 350.In 30 years I've never seen a 350 w/ a 44hd in person.However 3 or 4 years a go over on the other site a guy some where in NC bought a 350 forestry/fire trk that the FD bought new and it had a 44HD.It was a decent thread and he swore it came from the factory like that even suppied pics.There was the typical rebadge/swap-rob out/ordered that way talk.He denied it all

SC
let me take a pic of some buck tags without vin codes.

To be perfectly honest cuz I could give 2 sh!ts less if you believe me or not. I know Ive seen plenty of F250s with higher rated GVWR than base F350s and the highest front GVWR for a F250 and the highest front GVWR for a F350 is identical. The full out F250 and full out F350 have absolutely no part different other than vin tag. Its foolish for Ford but its the way things were.

Kinda like a Custom 79 with all the options having the same interior as a Ranger 79

Basically Ford would build you what you wanted.

To be perfectly honest cuz I could give 2 sh!ts less if you believe me or not.

Basically Ford would build you what you wanted.

You don't have to get cocky with me. Because I don't believe you doesn't mean I'm right. I walked into the dealer in 79 and bought a brand new 79 F-150 Ranger XLT. I know you could order whatever you wanted to, that still is no proof that a D44 was offered in a 350. I'm all done discussing the 44/350 with you.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts