Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thinking of trading my dent for a brick....

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
My buddy has a 85 (or 86) F250 Club cab long box 4wd with a 6.9L that he wants to trade for my 77. His truck is in about the same shape as mine except it needs a windsheild, he bought his truck to restore it and decided he wants a 70s truck instead....

His truck is a lariat, with an automatic. I feel like its pretty comprable to my truck (i dont know how many miles are on it though)....

What do you guys think? Think it would be a decent trade? Ive had two 80's trucks, and 83 and a 89 and both of them were POS's, BUT, my grandpa and my dad have both had them and theyve been awesome trucks, so i dont know which one is the norm???

Opinions???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You'd be dead to me...other than that, the one's you've owned were POS's...and you're buddy wants to trade...geez, I wonder why. I'm pretty much of the opinion that 80-91 are the lost years for Ford trucks, I've had a few and never been impressed...there are some nice ones, but just not my cup of tea.

Fellro

Staff member
I have had good luck with my 86 6.9. The auto isn't something I would want behind one though, especially if it has 3.54 gears. Might be ok with 4.10's, but the 6.9 works better with a manual. A manual with 3.54 would be better. Fuel mileage isn't going to be spectacular though, unless you like to putter. When I got it, I needed something that could haul heavy, and the 77 wasn't up to it.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Dents Rule. That is all. smilieFordlogo I also have an '89 F-250 that I bought several years ago with 95,000 miles and it does what I ask it to do still. It is ugly as sin(body style) but it is a real workhorse(460).

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Realistically, the 7.3 IDI isn't much more than the 6.9. Thin cylinder walls plague the 7.3. Combine some of the upgrades from the 7.3 with the 6.9 block, and you have the best of both motors.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Geez you guys are all bums!!! hahaha, that is all!

Sorry Roy.....Nothing personal man just speaking in general..You have a fine Truck sir...It is just my own opinon but after the Bumps & Dents of the 70's..I have to admit i was a bit disapointed in 80....Not just the trucks..but cars as well in general...

Last edited:

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I'm too young to remember when they were new. My dad, however, said the 80's trucks never stood up to the '78 he had. That's why he kept it until 1996. I remember lots of other guys back then complaining that the new trucks could not haul or tow the way the 70's trucks did - that they were very disappointed in the newer style and some regretted trading their old trucks because of it.

Also remember that you're posting in the Dent Side section. You might find some bias.

I'm of the opinion that Ford trucks made a big comeback with Gen 8 – 9.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Yeah, i know i was posting in the dentside forum so i figured bias was gonna be there :), i am also bias toward the dentsides, biggest reason im even considering it is for 3 reasons...

1- I figure the 6.9 should get better mileage and tow my camper better then my 400. My 400 does mighty fine but theres always room for improvement.

2- Its 4wd, nuff said :)

3- Its a Club cab, we have 4 dogs and like to take them camping, i will NOT travel with 4 dogs in a regular cab pickup.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
On the other hand, you have some good reasons for trading - the 4x4 and bigger cab parts anyway.

I don't like oil burners, so I won't call that an advantage, and have no idea what the milieage is like.

Yeah, i know i was posting in the dentside forum so i figured bias was gonna be there :), i am also bias toward the dentsides, biggest reason im even considering it is for 3 reasons...

1- I figure the 6.9 should get better mileage and tow my camper better then my 400. My 400 does mighty fine but theres always room for improvement.

2- Its 4wd, nuff said :)

3- Its a Club cab, we have 4 dogs and like to take them camping, i will NOT travel with 4 dogs in a regular cab pickup.

I'd do it for all those reasons but as long as it has that all important smilieFordlogo on the front.

FORD = Philosophy
Brick , dent , bump etc = individual preference

Fellro

Staff member
I won't profess that the mileage will be that great. Remember, no overdrive means drive slow or use more fuel.

My old man had a 79 F250 Supercab 4x4 with the 400, and it got traded for the 84 he still has because it had the motor changed 4 times by that time. It was a neat truck, but when you get stranded several hours from home on more than one occasion, it tends to sour the enjoyment.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts