Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thinking about switching to carb..

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
What do ya'll think? I know I can get it emission tested without a visual inspection, I still need to have cats but that's no biggie.. think I could make it pass? Would it be worth it? Or should I just keep fighting with the EFI? I don't drive the truck in the winter so that eliminates needing a choke. Thoughts?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Why?

Is your EFI causing problems?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It would be cheaper to fix the EFI, not to mention having better driveability and easier winter starts. And this comes from a guy who has dumped EFI for a carb lol.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well you live in florida. where winter, cold starts are nothign but a figment of your imagination.

Do they run the vehicle on a dyno to do the emissions test or do they do the test with the trans in neutral/park? If they do it on the dyno, then it will be much harder to pass.

Worth it? Depends on your goals.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
You need to read my post, mang. I said I don't drive it in the winter. Lol.

My main reason for thinking this way is..

I have SD EFI right now, I want to switch to MAF for the easier tuneability. That alone will be costly, but I also want to get a Tweecer RT to tune it in real time. I just figure that switching to carbed would eliminate alot of the cost involved. Not to mention alot less to learn tuning wise.

The e-testing is just a sniffer, idle only. As far as I know. If it comes down to it I can get one.. illegally. :)

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i thought about doing it once time when i thought my ECM was going out.

new heads,
new intake
carb
gotta screw with the wiring
low psi fuel pump
linkages
making your PCM run with out a ECM
IF you like your idiot lights, to get those to work.

TO much work.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Heads I plan on doing anyways.
Intake is obviously part of going carb.
Wiring.. could be interesting but it'd be worth it to just eliminate the computer altogethor.
I don't have to worry about linkages, manual baby!

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
throttle linkage

Well actually efi is easier to tune. Because when you have a carb, if you change somethign on the motor, 90% of the time you gotta adjust the tune. To get optimum performance.

Now with efi, it does it for you. 5 mins after start up with the new part. It registers it and adjusts for it.

thats the beauty of efi, OR throttle bodie injection

When my head stops thumping ill go into detail.

I have SD EFI right now, I want to switch to MAF for the easier tuneability. That alone will be costly, but I also want to get a Tweecer RT to tune it in real time. I just figure that switching to carbed would eliminate alot of the cost involved. Not to mention alot less to learn tuning wise.

Tuning a MAF rig consists of getting tweecer, converting to MAF (unless you already have it) and learning to set the parameters.

Tuning a carb rig consists of getting a "strip kit" or something similar, an exhaust gas analyzer and heading to a dyno - then it's trial and error untill you get the right jet combo in the carb as per the exhaust readings with the motor under a load and the corresponding output numbers from the dyno.

Either way, it ain't cheap and easy.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I have speed density EFI. Therefore my EFI system does not compensate for modifications. I don't care about tuning a carb.. if anything it'd be fun. I still plan on putting in a wideband O2 sensor for tuning. Throttle linkage would be fairly easy. I'm sure there are plenty of cables available (lokar?).

I don't expect either way to be cheap or easy, like I said the wideband will help loads. I'm just thinking out loud, I have to worry about injectors once I heavily modify my engine etc.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You don't need to replace your heads. My heads are E7TZ, truck EFI heads. You will need a new ignition system also.

Intake
Carb
Distributor
Fuel pump or regulator
wiring
My EFI throttle cable works well on my carb.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i could of sworn the injectors went into the heads.

shows how much i know...AHAH

Well actually efi is easier to tune. Because when you have a carb, if you change somethign on the motor, 90% of the time you gotta adjust the tune. To get optimum performance.

Now with efi, it does it for you. 5 mins after start up with the new part. It registers it and adjusts for it.

What kind of "efi" are you talking about? As in, SD or MAS? While it's true that they both adjust for you, but the SD is VERY limited to what it will adjust to. MAS has it's limits to, but by comparison it is very flexable. Virus has SD and Ford's SD is about as umcompromising as it gets....hence the desire to change. So, saying "It registers it and adjusts for it" is really a dubious claim since SD wont adjust to much of anything without being reprogrammed.

making your PCM run with out a ECM

What exactly are you talking about here??^^^

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
:rofl:

What I meant is, I plan on upgrading the heads anyways. AFR 165's :). I also plan on getting a nice big fuel cell mounted as far back as possible and eliminating my fuel doors. Wiring will likely be the biggest PITA. This is all in the distant future if I go through with it.. I need to finish school and all that jazz before I make enough cash to do all this. :) Like I said earlier.. thinking. out. loud. Just thoughts here. Debating with myself/you guys what my best choice would be.

I've had a MAF conversion on my mind for quite a while.. I'm just wondering how useable it's going to be after I throw some high performance heads/cam/bottom end in this thing. I eventually want to go single turbo route.. likely going to have to re-do everything again then anyways. Ugh.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Here's my 393w in my 94 F150. It came stock with the SD 302. I don't have emissions testing to worry about here.

393windsor2.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts