Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The New 6.4 Powerstroke

V-Man, I heard you recently completed a 3 day course on the 6.4 at the KC FMC Training center. What's your initial thoughts about that new engine?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
One thing that I'm interested in hearing is weither Ford has addressed the security problems with the superduties. Breaking into the 07's on down seems to be just a tad bit more problematic than breaking into a cracker box. I was wondering if Ford has done anything to make these new vehicles more secure.

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
V-Man, I heard you recently completed a 3 day course on the 6.4 at the KC FMC Training center. What's your initial thoughts about that new engine?
It looks to me that ford has addressed all problematic areas with the 6.0. Larger head bolts, diesel oxidation catalyst that dries out the exhaust before it gets to the egr valve and coolers, the electronic actuator on the vvt cycles full on to full off whenever you turn on the key to make sure nothing is binding or stuck. Extra computer power that discourages "enhancements".Double walled construction on the exhaust to dissipate heat (and theres a lot of it). Special exhaust tip to dissipate heat. 38 psi boost (yes, 38)

blacksnapon

Staff member
One thing that I'm interested in hearing is weither Ford has addressed the security problems with the superduties. Breaking into the 07's on down seems to be just a tad bit more problematic than breaking into a cracker box. I was wondering if Ford has done anything to make these new vehicles more secure.

Gunner
That part wasnt addressed as far as I saw with the demo f250 we had at KC

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
That part wasnt addressed as far as I saw with the demo f250 we had at KC

Makes sense. You time is valuable, and they would want you concentrating on the engine, rather than other aspects of the vehicle. One thing I saw during the superbowl commercial for the superduties that interested me. When they showed the "dual" supercharger, it/they were linked together by a shaft. I figured that they would be independant of each other. I supposed thats the make sure that they both spool up at the same RPM, however I would think that that would make for excessive turbo lag. Any thoughts?

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Another thing that I saw that was interesting. The new Piezo injectors. They wouldn't be interchangeable with our old 6.0's by chance, would they?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Makes sense. You time is valuable, and they would want you concentrating on the engine, rather than other aspects of the vehicle. One thing I saw during the superbowl commercial for the superduties that interested me. When they showed the "dual" supercharger, it/they were linked together by a shaft. I figured that they would be independant of each other. I supposed thats the make sure that they both spool up at the same RPM, however I would think that that would make for excessive turbo lag. Any thoughts?

Gunner
The turbo lag is almost nil. The low pressure turbo limits lag, and the high pressure turbo handles higher rpms. The high pressure turbo is the variable vane one.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Another thing that I saw that was interesting. The new Piezo injectors. They wouldn't be interchangeable with our old 6.0's by chance, would they?

Gunner
Nope, they are completely different. Remember, the 6.4 is high pressure common rail fuel system. There is individual fuel lines running to each injector.

V-man, what did they have there for your project vehicle and I wonder what happens to it when they're done using it for classes? What did the engine sound like and did you get to drive it?

blacksnapon

Staff member
V-man, what did they have there for your project vehicle and I wonder what happens to it when they're done using it for classes? What did the engine sound like and did you get to drive it?
We had a green f250, somewhat base vehicle. It wasn't approved for highway use (don't know why), so we could't drive it. The engine sounded somewhat quieter (but it was unmistakeably diesel sounding). They also had a complete engine on a pallet there for r&r turbo, r&r injectors, using the egr valve puller, etc.

We had a green f250, somewhat base vehicle. It wasn't approved for highway use (don't know why), so we could't drive it. .
Ah, here's a part where I can chime in...
When the companies (GM, FORD, on down to toyota and subaru, etc) Send out these "training/demo" models, since they are produced and distributed for educational purposes only, they are a complete write-off for the company. There is never any FET, Destination charges, state tax, etc... so they "don't exist" in the eyes of the government. Once FMC is done with them, they usually get donated to VoTech schools and High School Auto shops, and never touch the road. Sad but true. At least this way all those places get to mess with late model stuff without some poor student/parent sacrificing their own cars and trucks!

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech

Gunner

there will be a option for a pats keys. i think they call it securilock or something like that. i will go see and get back.

blacksnapon

Staff member
special service message 6843

2008 F- super duty 6.4 DI-MIL P132B---Some 2008 f-super duty 6.4 di may have mil code P132B present. This may occur when starting the engine and letting it run for a short time only. When shutting the engine down before the engine temperature gauge starts to move, combustion condensate may be present and freeze in the turbo vane area. When the vehicle is restarted, actuating the turbo unison ring can be restricted due to the frozen condensate resulting in a p132b mil code. To prevent this condition, the engine needs to be warmed up before it is shut down. To clear the p132b mil code, run the engine until the engine temperature gauge starts to move and clear the code. Restart the engine to make sure the code doesn't return. If the code returns, follow normal diagnostics.

bobf100

I can add to what Mr. Fixit said. My two brother-in-laws work for Ford at the factory where the F150 are made in Kansas City. Ford has a quality program for their employees that allow them to take a vehicle home for the night or weekends. The company makes available various models in a vehicle pool that the employees are encouraged to "test"drive. At the end of the year because of a federal law the factory cannot sell them. The law has something to do with Ford being a manufacturer and the vehicles are now used so they cannot be sold. Ford then uses the vehicles for safety test or they crush them.

I was quite disturbed to learn while building my F100 that they cannot even sell off parts for those trucks about to be crushed. Quite a few new leather seats went to the crusher that would have look very nice in my ride.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts