Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The mighty little 302.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
A soft stop Tex???? HAHAHAHA...you may wanna get checked out by a doctor. And for the record, some guys get their pannies in a wad if it's called a 400M...it's understood, it's the M block, so kinda sorta technically correct, but it's understood. No need to say it like the 351M...that needs clarification from the W and C.

Well i've all ways heard it called 400M, so its a force of habit smiliepopcorn

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I like the 302. I think it's a good half ton motor and mud eater. They're fairly durable too.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Since I wasn't the one to originally necropost, i will chime in. The 302 in my Mount does nice with the 3.73s and its miles apart from the 4.0.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Old thread but what the heck.

I'm a 302/5.0 fan as well. Abuse them and they keep coming back for more, but I can't get one to go more than 200,000. I've put close to 340,000 miles on my 86 4x4 and it's on its third 5.0. Gearing is the secret.

Mustang proved the value of this engine, and this engine probably kept Mustang in production over the years.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I like my 302. But I wouldn't complain if I got hold of something with more power. But I'm happy especially after seeing I got somewhat decent gas mileage driving to Washington, DC. Don't know the exact number since I have no speedo/odometer, but I only stopped once on the way for gas and that seemed good for me LOL

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I like my 302. But I wouldn't complain if I got hold of something with more power. But I'm happy especially after seeing I got somewhat decent gas mileage driving to Washington, DC. Don't know the exact number since I have no speedo/odometer, but I only stopped once on the way for gas and that seemed good for me LOL

Great looking truck!!!

smilieleghump

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
No.

Mine.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks Watchdog :)

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
ive seen stock 302's in mustangs and f150's n f100's stomp a mudhole in every vehicles *** ive ever seen with a stock chevy 305.......and id prolly put my money on a stock 302 over a stock 350 anyday....id like to see the 5.0 make a return but i seriously doubt it will but should the 5.0 and 5.8w ever make a return you can bet ill be the first person to have 1 of each its hard to beat a stock small block ford cubic inch for cubic inch...ya gotta love em

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
well in all honestly the old school 350 is one of the greats, its a legendary American small block.
But I"ll take a 302 all day long baby :D
I think the humble 302is one of the best engines ever made.

FTF'er
I love the 302 in my Ranger and it's my favorite engine... but the 5.7 Vortec from my Suburban would woop the 302's *** in the same vehicle.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i think your wrong w that 1 lol ive seen my buddies 78 f100 custom...completely stock....exept for his cheap air freshner haul *** and leave my buddies 91 chevy 5.7 lookin stupid

FTF'er
The 91 Chevy is not a Vortec... there's quite a bit of power difference. The Vortec was used from '96 to '98/'99.

70blue

Georgia Chapter member
I love the 302 in my Ranger and it's my favorite engine... but the 5.7 Vortec from my Suburban would woop the 302's *** in the same vehicle.
Wow that is amazing an engine with 48 more cubes is stronger. Try that with a 305 to make things closer to equal. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts