Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The good news is...the great news is...

So after 6 weeksof searching i have found he ford im gonna go with its a 1979 F350 with a 400 auto 4x4 has the 1 ton axles with 4.10 gears around 73000 miles its red with a rust free body not leaks or knocks or squeels they put mt classic 2 rims 16x12 with new dc 37x12.5s on i think it haslikea 4 in skyjacker lift so thats he good news...the great news is they offered to pay for shippng....which is 1100 dollars... ya thats what i said so my thought is its a five hour drive so insteadi will drive it home n use the 1100 bucks for gas n upgrades when i get back i found a random website lastnight that had a rpm calc said at 65 with 4.10s and 37 i would be at 2240 rpm does that sound right any reason not todrive it or any beter ideas?? thanks for the help so far!! heres a few pics smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's a good looking truck. And sounds like everything is falling into place quite nicely. As for rpm...real world rpm, I know you'll be closer to 2400 rpm. Before I swapped gears, I was running 37's with the stock 4.10's.

sorry bout the typing and he spelling i dont use computers much other than on this sight n facebook..ya id liketo go to something closer to a 355 gear or maybe a 373 my plan s to build up a stroker 400 motor for it also put the ac in it the dash is out of an ac truck has the holes they coveredthem with dimond plate ??? but it looks ok for now thats a winter project im pumped tho i been lookin all over for the right truck in my budget

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't change gears at all. And as for a 400 stroker build...they're nice, but every 400 stroker build I've read about puts you somewhere in the 10k region, and yields about 500hp/500tq.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I gotta go with benny bear on this... 4.10s aint so bad with 37" tires...

You get too steep a rear end ratio and you'll tear that C6 transmission up quick.

makes sense the stroker i was lookin at was actually for a 460 ...but im a 400 fan anyone have any engine improvment ideas for the 400 im gonna ditch ne of the smog stuff i can run my iming straight up not sure whats out there for the 400s yet

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
makes sense the stroker i was lookin at was actually for a 460 ...but im a 400 fan anyone have any engine improvment ideas for the 400 im gonna ditch ne of the smog stuff i can run my iming straight up not sure whats out there for the 400s yet

cam, headers, heads, carb, intake, pistons, straight up timing.

Wouldn't you know it … ill keep this short no truck funny business with "owner" ill keep my mouth shut next time till I have a title in my hand … one quick question whats easiest way to tell if a 77 is a highboy or lowboy

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Wouldn't you know it … ill keep this short no truck funny business with "owner" ill keep my mouth shut next time till I have a title in my hand … one quick question whats easiest way to tell if a 77 is a highboy or lowboy

30+ year old truck...lots of stuff can change, engines, tannies, t-cases, etc. Frame rail to frame rail width is a tell tale sign...outside of that VIN. If your truck is before Y20,001, it's a 'hiboy'. However, you'll want to confirm that with the VIN that's stamped on the frame...doors change over time as well too, and if the tags aren't removed...your tag won't match.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts