Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the fun"ness" of dropping a gas tank

So i studied up on dropping the gas tank without removing the bed, not hard not at all. i get there unhook things, start doing the gas tank strap, first one comes off easy sweet. now drivers side strap bolt near the front of the truck, good mother of god was that a pain in the butt. i ended up having to drill the bolt off and take vice grips to get it off, that was a :headbang: moment(s) i got it off, the gas tank seems to becoming out easily then BAM the guy who did the exhaust system on it awhile back for me, put the hanger for the rear of the tail pipe right to where i can't take the gas tank out without removing it :hammer:

i just hate when i have to do more and more things oh well just needed to vent for a minute and eat lunch

Fellro

Staff member
I have an ag hitch under my 86. When I discovered I had a leak, I looked at how it would be to pull it. I did consider pulling the bed, but as rusty and nasty as the bolts were, I decided against it. I have to remove my rear bumper to get the tank down, as the bumper extends over half way under the tank. That was not a lot of fun, as it is likely in the territory of 100-150 pound... I did use a hoist to do it though.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I am sorry lol, i just got the tank out of the truck now to take out the sender and but im not sure how to

There should be a lock ring that turns until the grooves line up and then the ring comes off, the sender comes right out. I've always used a hammer and a screwdriver to get the ring off.

Sometimes we all need to vent about things.

Fellro

Staff member
That's the same way I do it, just don't get too carried away, as the screwdriver will cut the ring. There is a special tool for the job, but I have never ponied up for it when that method keeps working for me. Only had a couple that were rusted so bad they didn't work out as well, and even then I was able to salvage. I think one disintegrated, don't remember for sure.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If the ring is the same as on my Ranger (I believe it is) with "tabs" sticking up, I found putting an open-ended wrench over the tab and tapping the back of the wrench with a hammer easier than the screwdriver method.

Won't slip off and won't cut the tab.

I got it off the screwdriver/hammer way fun little devil for sure. wasnt bad though, the sender is shot, so i have one that should be in on tuesday :-/ i guess after 30 years it's no wonder haha

how do you get the evap plug in off the top of the tank?

here is a semi picture of what the inside of my tank looks like.

Truck013-1.jpg

YUM

Fellro

Staff member
It should pry out, it is just held in by the grommet.

they make brass punches for a reason...

they don't cause a spark like a steel screwdriver which if ignites any fuel vapour will launch you like rocket.

be careful removing the hold down ring

I used an extra large set of Channel Locks and a 16" Crescent wrench.
Used the outside edge of the two jaws on two tabs that were straight
across from each other. The Crescent wrench was used as a handle
for the other side from the Channel Lock's handles so the whole works
formed a "T". :)

Sorta.

Alvin in AZ

that's a good way to look at it. but i was taking off the top vent off and it snapped, what is this called and what's a part number, i need a new one now i cant find it online :-\

see it here

9B593 ?

74Fuelsystem.jpg

I'm looking online now

#1 Fuel Vapor Valve: D7TZ-9B593-A (mid); *E2AZ-9B593-A (aft) / Hoses: D7TZ-9047-A (mid); D8TZ-9047-P (aft)
#2 Fuel Vapor Valve: D7TZ-9B593-A (mid) / Hose: D8TZ-9047-S

#3 Fuel Vapor Valve: E2AZ-9B593-A (aft) / Hose: D8TZ-9047-P

#4 Fuel Vapor Valve: D7TZ-9B593-A (mid); E2AZ-9B593-A (aft) / Hoses: D8TZ-9047-G (aft); D5TZ-9047-C (mid).

Last edited:
I searched the entire Continent.

You have to get one off a car or another truck

I found one on bronco graveyard for 47 shipped, the problem is i move on the 30th, and need the tank, so i cant wait I guess i could see if they'd express ship it, and that link didnt work D

Fellro

Staff member
They are prety much the same part on most any ford vehicle, the local junkyard should have something. AI could drop one to you, but not sure how well it will make it in time....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts