Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the best flare

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
What was the best engine transmission combo for a mpg somewhat friendly that was available for the 92-96 era flaresides?

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
There were 3 great motors for the F150 Flaresides. The only two I would ever seek out are the 300 I6, and the 351w V8.

The 300 I6 would be the better light duty motor if you're not going to be doing a ton of towing. It will last forever, has good torque for what it is and gets a couple MPG better fuel efficiency.

The 351w V8 is a much more powerful motor and I prefer it. It gets slightly worse fuel mileage, but it's not that much different. Life cycle is very long as well but it doesn't have the legendary reputation of the 300 I6.

It's really up to you but I have a 351w bias. The fuel mileage difference in a smaller flareside truck might be 18mpg with the 300 and 16mpg in the 351w.

Ryan

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
very well put. i got the 351w in my flareside as well, with an e4od transmission, and love it. but for now, im seeking a stock flareside that im looking to turn into a street truck probably 2wd maybe 4wd because of the place i live, icey when its snowy.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
very well put. i got the 351w in my flareside as well, with an e4od transmission, and love it. but for now, im seeking a stock flareside that im looking to turn into a street truck probably 2wd maybe 4wd because of the place i live, icey when its snowy.

351W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yes the 351 is nice. But !! If you don't haul; daily its not needed.

I have had 20 plus Trucks to date . never got over 12 MPg with a 351 4x4 .With 302 I got 15 plus before ethanol on the sc long bed e40od equipped 4x4 still get 14 plus. And better on trip . 300 6 is about same up to 20 on nice road trip. I have both now .
MPG averages is 3 motors with same gears. trans

300 -6 with manual trans and 3:55 rears will get best for you . Most have 3:08 here and with hills MPG fails .

As for 302 . I got 200000 on mine and had 12 others with 150000 ish . Did the job hauled when I wanted and got 3 PLus MPG better then 351 doing it . .With a MAF and good tune up . It keeps up just fine .

Its up to you ..I have 20 years of records. for these trucks

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Yes the 351 is nice. But !! If you don't haul; daily its not needed.

I have had 20 plus Trucks to date . never got over 12 MPg with a 351 4x4 .With 302 I got 15 plus before ethanol on the sc long bed e40od equipped 4x4 still get 14 plus. And better on trip . 300 6 is about same up to 20 on nice road trip. I have both now .
MPG averages is 3 motors with same gears. trans

300 -6 with manual trans and 3:55 rears will get best for you . Most have 3:08 here and with hills MPG fails .

As for 302 . I got 200000 on mine and had 12 others with 150000 ish . Did the job hauled when I wanted and got 3 PLus MPG better then 351 doing it . .With a MAF and good tune up . It keeps up just fine .

Its up to you ..I have 20 years of records. for these trucks

20 years, well its all about credentials and you got it. the 300 6, i never had or drove one.... i think i just might manual trans, the only thing ima haul in that truck is me a passenger and a toneua cover

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
12mpg is extremely pessimistic for a 351 in a small flare side truck.

Ryan

man i had to google that one. in my flare i was doing hella lot better than 12mpg with 36" SSR's and 9" of lift.... as of today 35" toyoz and 11" of lift, idk. getting super swamper radials this weekend so ima see how those go. might get some for my street truck when i find her if them tires do good

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you have a 4wd truck already, you should think about a 2wd truck. They are lighter, better fuel mileage, and better suited to be a race truck. :D That's the plan on my old 94!

Ryan

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
If you have a 4wd truck already, you should think about a 2wd truck. They are lighter, better fuel mileage, and better suited to be a race truck. :D That's the plan on my old 94!

Ryan

yeah that crossed my mind, 2wd with a AIR locker in the rear would do it just nice. probably have better luck finding a 4wd though. dont know the 2wd-4wd ration made for flares. but always could do a swap even though i wouldnt even want to

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts