Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

That's not it, ugh!!!

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
Yesterday, all trouble lights. ABS, engine, tranny, and no speedo.Today, replaced the ABS-speed sensor @ rear diff. Didn't help. I had my codes read @ Autozone and low and behold P-0500 speed sensor circuit. Sales guy said may be tranny speed sensor. True or False?

blacksnapon

Staff member
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Malfunction Indicates the powertrain control module (PCM) detected an error in the vehicle speed information. Vehicle speed data is received from either the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), transfer case speed sensor (TCSS) or anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module. If the engine rpm is above the torque converter stall speed (automatic transmission) and engine load is high, it can be inferred that the vehicle must be moving. If there is insufficient vehicle speed data input, a malfunction is indicated and a DTC is set. On most vehicle applications the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will be triggered when this DTC is set. Open in VSS+/VSS- harness circuit.
Open in TCSS signal or TCSS signal return harness circuit.
Short to GND in VSS harness circuit.
Short to GND in TCSS harness circuit.
Short to PWR in VSS harness circuit.
Short to PWR in TCSS harness circuit.
Open or short in the vehicle speed circuit(s) (VSC) between the PCM and appropriate control module.
Damaged VSS or TCSS.
Damaged wheel speed sensors.
Damaged wheel speed sensor harness circuits.
Damage in module(s) connected to VSC/VSS circuit.
Damage drive mechanism for VSS or TCSS.
Monitor VSS PID while driving vehicle. This DTC is set when the PCM detects a sudden loss of vehicle speed signal over a period of time. If vehicle speed data is lost, check the source of where the vehicle speed input originates from: VSS, TCSS or ABS. Note: On some MSOF applications, VSS and TCSS PID can be monitor. However if no TCSS PID is available and VSS PID is zero, TCSS circuitry frequency must be checked for loss of sensor signal. If another vehicle electronic module has generated the P0500 and the vehicle does not receive its vehicle speed input from one of the above mention sources (VSS, TCSS or ABS). Check the PCM for Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS) DTCs. On OSS applications the PCM uses the OSS to calculated the vehicle speed. If no OSS DTCs are found check for correct PCM configuration. Check PCM configuration for correct tire size and axle ratio.

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
If you recall, my truck was in a front end accident...hmmmm? Digging around I found a small harness in a wire bundle coming from the rt.front brakes that appears to have been broken and glued-sealed. Any possibilities??

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts