Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Temprature gauge

So anyhow my trucks temp gauge goes up whenever I am parked at a stop sign or idling or whatever. It goes up slowly but out of the "normal" area range, as soon as I start going it decreases and stays in the middle where it normally rides.

Is it just an old 30 year old gauge shouldnt care much? Or thermostat going out?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sounds like some thing to do with the fan or the fan clutch...

Watch and see of the Fuel gauge rises as well.

This system is quirky sometimes so it could be nothing to worry about.

I have had both gauges climb and almost pin.. give the dash a hard slam and they drop.

You never mentioned the ambient temp of the air ....so Next time just rev the engine up and watch for the needle to drop

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Check it (the rad) with an infared temp gauge to be sure. If you don't have one and you're questioning the gauge, I'd stick a new temp sender and thermostat in it. Less than $20.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Wow we all posted at the same time...........................weird...........

Okay I dont feel it pulling on the back of the hood, it seems to be blowing air out....

Next I let the truck idle and the temp gauge get up, and I throttled the truck without it moving and it seemed to drop a little bit but not back down. But I wont be able to tell that until I am actually out driving.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i cant believe no one said

when truck is parked engine cold ENGIN OFF ... try to turn the fan it should turn with some resistance if it turns freely then its shot

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
i cant believe no one said

when truck is parked engine cold ENGIN OFF ... try to turn the fan it should turn with some resistance if it turns freely then its shot

smiliewhathesaid

Have you checked your radiator cap pressure to ensure you have the proper pressure and circulation of your coolant? maybe a clog somewhere in the cooling system and when moving you have more air to cool...... or when you rev it the fan moves faster.

Dak

smiliewhathesaid

Have you checked your radiator cap pressure to ensure you have the proper pressure and circulation of your coolant? maybe a clog somewhere in the cooling system and when moving you have more air to cool...... or when you rev it the fan moves faster.

Dak

The fan turns sorta, it takes pressure lol no free moving.

Do you mean the amount of pressure I am supposed to have? I think I have a 13lb cap which is what I believe it is supposed to be up here?

How would I find a clog?

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Unless you have your own pressure gage you would have to take it to someone. Sorry, I didn't mean the actual cap, but the pressure in the system itself. One can take the cap off and attach a gauge to the cap opening to test. If there was a clog you would have to flush the system and re-check.
Good luck!
Dak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts